Growth

For the next week Draco acted very strangely. Hermione couldn’t quite figure out what was going on with him. For some reason he was pulling away from her faster, he would fall into a rage with barely any motivation and he left her abruptly a few times when she thought she could see fear or sadness creeping in. She assumed it was just the strain of being home but she couldn’t help feeling that it was more than that.

Still, she didn’t bring it up with him; she had decided that if there was something he wanted to tell her he would. Some things might just be better for him to keep inside.

She hated not knowing what was wrong but she knew that if she kept pushing they were going to end up on a roller coaster with no end.

They had done that before and it was worse than not knowing. It just made it worse that she had a thirst for knowledge, one of these days she was going to end up pushing him again, but maybe that would be a better day.

She was trying to build herself up some courage to tell someone other than Luna about the two of them, but somehow just the thought of starting that conversation made her sick.

Maybe she could tell Ginny, but then again what if she freaked out and told the others, no one would understand. What had she gotten herself into?

She didn’t want her relationship with Draco to end but that couldn’t possibly mean giving up her friends, could it? She gave herself headaches just thinking about it.

“What am I supposed to do?” She asked.

Luna looked away, a pensive look on her face.

It was two weeks after their break and Draco had started to pick up his mood, he was back to the man that she had seen him grow into and Hermione was so happy just to be with him, but everything was weighing heavily on her mind. She had asked Luna if they could meet in the grounds to talk about it. She was probably starting to get on Luna’s nerves, but then again, Luna was far too polite to say.

“You’re in a bit of a tight squeeze here aren’t you?” She said. “I suppose it’s a little similar to Neville introducing me to his grandmother. He knew it wasn’t going to go well but he loves me so he wanted to do it. It was actually really brave of him. Like Seamus says, she is quite a scary woman.”

Hermione thought about it. They were quite similar situations, even if one was probably a little worse than the other. Luna was hardly what Neville’s grandmother would call appropriate, but at least she wasn’t a former death eater.

“I just don’t want to lose them, any of them. This whole war has made everything so much more complicated. It would have been bad enough if this had happened back in fifth year, before things escalated. Now, it’s just… I don’t know what I want.” Hermione said.

“Yes you do.”

“I want them both! I want my friends and my… boyfriend,” It still sounded weird for her to say, but it left a pleasant taste in her mouth. “I just know that I can't choose both so I don’t know what I want.”