Descretion

Hermione felt that her bed was empty without someone else sleeping in it, specifically without Draco sleeping in it. She was colder, she missed the way his arms felt around her body and how the rise and fall of his chest made her feel protected. She never experienced anything like this before so she never knew what it was like to miss it.

They had agreed to meet tomorrow, trying out a discreet meeting place. They both knew perfectly well where to go, even though they haven’t said it. Hermione wondered how it would affect him to be back there; at least it would be different this time. She would be there for him.

Still, she couldn’t help but run through what Harry and Ron will say when, or if, they find out. She has never had to keep something like this from them before. She had new found feelings for this man who has always been the enemy, so why could she change her mind about him so quickly? Or at least what seemed like a short period of time.

In reality her affections for Draco had been growing for a long time. Hermione thought back to that day in their third year when she sent her fist flying into his nose. He really was arrogant. As she looked back she realised that in the early years of his time at Hogwarts he really was as arrogant as he sounded, but as the years went by it became more of a mask to cover the gaping hole that was growing inside of him. He used his arrogance to hide his insecurities and protect himself from anymore hurt.

But what was it about her? Why was he letting his guard down for her like he never had with anyone else? Even Pansy, especially Pansy. She must have been a part of his cover, so long as she was as nasty to him as she was, he didn’t have the chance to feel any good, and therefore lost all hope in a better life. Hermione couldn’t imagine feeling so alone and powerless that she would have to remove all the happiness from her life just to be able to live it.

She thought back to the day when she performed the memory-removal spell on her parents, obliviate. She had felt like it was the only choice she had to keep them safe, but she still had Harry, and Ron. She couldn’t imagine living with no joy, or even without any hope of ever finding it.

Her mind was running around in circles with all of this information, and the excitement and anticipation of seeing Draco tomorrow. It took her a long time to finally get to sleep.

She woke early the next morning and practically threw on her clothes and ran down to the great hall for breakfast, just hoping to meet his eyes across the room. She ate her breakfast slowly, constantly looking up and over at the Slytherin table. She sat in the hall for over an hour, waiting for him to show up. They agreed that she would meet him at the room of requirement at noon. It was currently nine in the morning.

She took a walk around the castle; time was ticking by far too slowly. She headed to the library and took out an old book to read. She looked up at the clock after a while of reading to see that only an hour had passed.

She sighed and slumped back in her chair, will midday never come?

It seemed like forever to Hermione but she held herself back until half past eleven when she decided it was okay to head up to the seventh floor.