Graduation

Hermione sat with Draco looking out over the grounds. Somewhere out there were the remaining death eaters, though probably miles away by now. Draco looked out into the darkness while she just smiled over at him.

It was only hours ago that he had died right in front of her and now here he was, perfect. He had no idea that if it wasn’t for her and Ron he would still be lying cold under a sheet in the hospital wing.

He caught her staring and shuffled awkwardly. “Why are you doing that?”

“Doing what?” She asked.

“Staring at me. It’s actually quite annoying.” She laughed and turned away.

“I’m just proud of what you did tonight. I can't imagine how scared you must have been.”

He scoffed. “I wasn’t scared.”

She hid her smile from him as he brushed her off. He would hate to admit it but at some point he will. Probably not for a long time.

They headed down to the great hall where McGonagall and the other teachers were addressing the rest of the students. It was mostly formalities.

“I will make sure your families are well aware of what happened here tonight and you should all know that extra measures of security will be taken before you return to school next year. Now to those of you who won't be returning… Graduation will run as planned and invitations have already been sent to your families. Those of you who have muggle parents can rest assured, we have arranged for them to arrive promptly. Despite this shadow, you will still be graduating tomorrow.

“If there are any sixth years that have siblings graduating they will be permitted to stay, otherwise the train leaves tomorrow morning. I assure you that you will have a safe journey home, preparations have already been made.” She finished with a curt little nod. “Now, it is well past the curfew so I recommend you all head back to your dormitories for some well-deserved rest.”

The students began to disperse and Hermione turned to Draco. “I’ll see you tomorrow at graduation then?”

“Of course, it’s not like we really need to hide anymore.” He shrugged and she hugged him.

“No we don’t.” She said into his shoulder.

They headed out of the hall and Hermione was reluctant to let him leave as he headed to his dormitory. She watched him until he turned the corner, pausing for a moment to smile back at her, and then he was gone.

“Are you ever going to tell him?” She turned to see Ron standing beside her.

“I think it would be better left as our little secret don’t you?” She smiled.

“Considering you could get into a lot of trouble, yeah, probably for the best.” She put her arm around him and they walked back to their common room.