Looking Up

“Hermione?!” Harry called out to her again. She just looked up at them in a frozen state, unable to move.

“I…I…We… I mean…” She stuttered.

“He just jumped into the lake!” They all turned towards the bank to see Luna standing with a feeble smile on her face.

“Luna?” Hermione breathed.

“What?” Ron looked from Harry to Hermione and back to Luna.

“He dropped this –” she held up the little black box, “and he thought it went into the lake so he dived in, it was really unexpected.” They all just looked at her, Hermione was breathless. “Hermione and I were just standing over there and saw it happen, something in the water must have latched onto him because he went under. Hermione saved him.”

“And that?” Harry pointed to where Hermione was crouched over Malfoy’s unconscious body.

“An old muggle technique, it’s proven to be quite effective.” Luna smiled over at Hermione, who seemed to be in a state of shock. “Didn’t you say your parents taught it to you, Hermione?”

She snapped out of it fast enough to answer her. “Uh… yes, mouth to mouth, clearly… he… he wasn’t breathing when I pulled him out.” She looked over to Luna as if for confirmation.

“So that’s two of us who’ve saved his skin then.” Harry muttered.

“Well don’t be looking at me to put my lips on Malfoy next time, I’d rather face the creature in the lake.” Ron said, looking horrified.

“You obviously have somewhere to be, I’ll get him to Madame Pomfrey.” Luna walked over and crouched next to Draco.

“Are… are you sure?” Hermione asked, her hidden hand holding onto Draco’s so very tightly.

“It’s no trouble; I have nothing planned for the day. Go on.” Luna looked down at Draco and then back up at Hermione.

She gave her a quick nod and Hermione released Draco’s hand and stood up shakily. Her heart was pounding so quickly she thought it might burst through her chest. They had almost found out about Draco, and they didn’t take to it lightly.

“Come on Hermione.” Ginny reached out a hand and Hermione took it lightly.

The ride to Hogsmeade was a blur. She didn’t think her heart would slow down and all she could think about was how Draco was doing, he didn’t look so good when she left him. What if something bad happened to him?

They made their way through Hogsmeade until they walked through the saloon doors of the Three Broomsticks and took their seats in the booth that had always been their favourite.

For a while Hermione said nothing. The others ordered her a butterbeer but she was lost in thought.