34|Effort

Emilia's POV

Emilia's POV

I let go of his hand as I watched him.

"But what?" I asked feeling a little hurt.

I had shown him a very vulnerable side of me that no one has gotten to see. It would crush me into pieces if I found out it was for nothing.

"But we have to take it slow," he said. "You have to understand that I can't trust people very well, Emilia."

I held back his hand. "We can take it at whatever pace you want, Santo. I just want to be with you."

"If we weren't sitting in the middle of a restaurant, you'll never imagine the things I would do to you for saying that."

I found myself blushing. "Maybe you can show me some of that in the car."

He threw his head back. "You claim you're innocent, yet you say things like this to me."

"I guess I picked up a thing two from my husband. That guy is a handful."

He smiled before kissing my hand. "I really do like you, Emilia. This is my first time telling anyone that in years."

"I like you too, Santo. This is my first time telling anyone that, ever."

"So you were serious about not sleeping with your bodyguard?" he asked and I nodded.

"We only kissed. I thought he might have been my forever."

He looked at me confused.

"What is a forever?" he asked.

"It's like someone you want to spend the rest of your life with or someone you were destined to be with."

He nodded slowly. "Right."

I raised my eyebrow. "What? You don't believe in forevers?"

"No," he answered. "There is no such thing. People always leave."

I stared at him in shock.

"Do you still think that man is your forever?" he asked me.

"Yes," I answered honestly.

Santo didn't believe in forevers but Anthony did.

"Fair enough," he smiled. "It looks like I have some competition."

The waitress served our main courses and we got to know each other a little better as we ate.

He told me stories about when he was a kid. I told him about my childhood too, although, his own was much more exciting.

"I have something for you," he said as he pulled a box out of his jacket and handed it to me.

I opened it to see a gold necklace with his name on it with a bracelet and earrings that both had butterflies.