44|Breathe

Emilia's POV

Emilia's POV

When I said that I wanted Santo to be my first everything, I forgot that it included my first breakup.

This burning feeling in my heart was almost unbearable. It was constant and I felt like I was being suffocated.

I wiped my eyes as I tried to call him again but he didn't answer.

He didn't come home last night and ignored all my calls.

I fell asleep by the door last night waiting for him to come back but he never did.

"Meow," James sounded as he curled next to me on the floor.

I frowned. "I miss him too."

I'll face whatever wrath Santo wants to unleash on me. I just wanted him to come home.

I was mad at him too. His reaction was extreme.

He didn't even try to hear what I had to say and assumed that I wrote bad things about him.

My phone rang and I quickly picked it up in hopes that it was him but it wasn't.

I cringed when I saw it was Professor Kate.

"What am I going to say?" I asked myself as I tried not to break down again.

I sighed before answering.

"Emilia," she sternly said. "I should not have to call you. You know what this is about."

"Professor Kate if you could give me a few more days-"

"Stop right there," she said. "Ms. Mariano, you've had plenty of time to do this simple task."

"Professor Kate, if you could just let me explain," I begged but she was not having it.

"Ms. Mariano, even if I wanted to help you, grades are due today. This institution does not normally allow students to do makeup but I begged the dean for you."

"Professor Kate-"

"Maybe it is for the best," she said. "If you could not finish one simple assignment then you probably do not deserve this degree."

My chest started to hurt and I began having difficulty breathing.

Why does no one ever listen to me?

"Please, just give me a chance," I begged.

"I am really disappointed in you, Emilia. I saw great potential in you," she said. "You will receive a letter of dismissal from the university by next week."

I tried to speak but I couldn't.

"Goodbye, Ms. Mariano. Don't waste your money trying again. You're not cut out for it," she said before hanging up.

Hot, heavy tears rushed out of my eyes as I screamed.

James immediately ran away and the guards rushed in to see if I was okay.