45|A Failure

*Chapter song included*

Emilia's POV

2 Days Later

I looked down as we sat in a tensed silence in his car.

We haven't said a word to each other all morning and it was killing me.

"You didn't have to get a helicopter, I could've taken the train," I said to him awkwardly and he kept quiet.

Okay, I guess he isn't in the talking mood.

I looked on my watch to check the time.

What was taking so long? This tension between Santo and I was insufferable.

We were waiting for the pilot to get the helicopter ready for take off.

It had only been five minutes but it felt like five hours.

"When I said I needed time, I didn't mean for you to pack up and leave," he said as he looked outside the window.

I turned to look at him. "Santo, you've been ignoring me since the last time we spoke. I feel like a prisoner in that house by myself."

He barely came home and never answered my calls.

He continued to look out the window.

I had hoped so much that this marriage could've been a good one.

I had hoped that we would be that one percent of arranged couples who actually fell in love.

I hoped that he would've been my forever.

Perhaps I hoped for it so badly that it didn't work.

I hoped for too much.

The pilot waved to us, indicating that he was ready.

"Is there anything you want to say to me before I leave Santo?" I asked in hopes that he would try to stop me and we could be that one percent.

"No," he said and it felt like a punch in the gut.

Did he ever love me?

I thought love was accepting and forgiving someone unconditionally.

I thought his love was based on trust.

He had no trust in me.

I picked up my bag. "I hope I never have to see you again, Santo."

"You're still my wife. You still have to fulfil your duty's as the capo's wife," he said, still not looking at me.

Why can't he just look at me?

"I don't want to," I told him and he finally turned to me.

"Well, you have to!" He said looking extremely pissed at me. "You made a choice to marry me. You can't just run away when you have responsibilities to fulfil."