38|A Great Leader

Santo's POV

Santo's POV

Four years ago

"Mamma," I said as I buttoned up my shirt. "Do I have to wear this stupid suit?"

She started to help me with my tie. "Did sending you to college make you forget you have to dress nice? Mafia men always wear suits."

I turned away as I tied it myself. "Mamma, I've graduated college already. You can stop using it against me."

She sighed. "I just want my son to look good for his brother's takeover. Don't you want to look good? Everyone will be there."

"I guess," I answered as I put on my jacket.

I really hated wearing suits. They felt too heavy on me.

"I'm not going to be a part of this right? You know I hate being involved in these types of things."

She hugged me. "Your mamma is not going to let anything happen to you. You will just be there to support Stefan."

I hugged her back.

I want no part in this, not even to give a speech for my brother.

"You have gotten so tall, Santo," she said. "Before you went into college you were only a little taller than me, now that you've graduated I have to break my neck to see you."

What was she talking about? I was always this height.

I laughed before I heard loud shouting from my brother and father.

They've always fought but today, they were at each other's throats.

"Is everything okay with Stefan and papá?" I asked as I turned to her.

She smiled. "Of course, you know your brother and father are always fighting. It's nothing."

I nodded. "That's true."

I heard heavy footsteps before Stefan's door slammed.

"I'm going to check on him," I told her and she nodded.

I knocked on his door before opening it.

He was throwing his clothes into a duffle bag.

"Are you planning on moving out or something?" I joked to him and he snapped his neck to me.

Stefan was always heated after a fight with our father but never like this.

I needed him to be calm. He was about to become our new leader in a few hours, he couldn't go on the stage looking this enraged.

"Stefan, is everything okay?"

He marched up to me before hostilely pushing me out of his room.

"Stay out of my way Santo!" he shouted at me before slamming the door in my face.