Chapter 33

Grinlan Vice was a magnificent place, which was the Auburne's fief.

It was once a barren land with nothing but tall, sturdy trees with wild animals when it was first gifted to the newly promoted Baron of the Auburne household, which unlike other territories that already had at least a few residences and a bit of foundation at that time.

For some nobilities back then, it was the kind of land befitting for someone who just started to take a step onto the ladder of nobility and was a former commoner.

Currently, in terms of land area, Grinlan Vice is the fourth largest geographically, after Central, Axion, and Vilmark, with an area of more than two thousand square kilometers.

Grinlan officially started operating as a small village with just Baron Auburne's family, his closest confidants, and trusted subjects who willingly followed and lived with him there. With the help of these people, land areas, residences, and other work opportunities slowly opened up and steadily grew and expanded over time.

Thus, in less than five years, Grinlan's land expansion reached a few hundred kilometers as residences, commercial areas, and agricultural lands developed and continued to prosper.

A once small village turned into a decent city, and the village where everything started became its trademark and the apple of the blooming territory, Merfiel Town.

As the years went by, Grinlan Vice's prosperity was steady, and the results can still be seen to this very day. And, of course, along with the city's prosperity and the incredible merits Baron Auburne accumulated, it was not surprising for his status to elevate.

Since his generation and the next up to the current timeline, Auburne's status in the hierarchy has reached the top, and the title of Duke has been passed for the twentieth time to the current holder.

As most expected, the twenty first Duke of Auburne was assumed to be the eldest, Everett. However, there were a few people who believed that the outstanding, insightful, and clever daughter, who was doted on by both the Duke and his son, would also be a good choice.

Speculation like this was inevitable and unavoidable simply because there was still no heir for the position of the next Duke.

What's worth noting is that there was no gender discrimination for being an heir in the Empire. That is why there were few who thought Vrylle, despite not having awakened yet at her age, had the qualifications due to her outstanding ability and insight.

Nonetheless, whether it was the eldest or the youngest, the nobles thought that most of the benefits would still be shared with the Imperial family.

It was because Everett was a Paladin directly under the Emperor, and Vrylle, if she ever got the title, with the long-standing ties between the House of Auburne and the Imperial family, the answer was obvious.

Though what most people didn't know, which only a few knew, was that Vrylle being engaged with the Crown Prince meant that she was not qualified to be an heir.

The reason could never be that explicit.

But indeed, the Imperial family received most of the benefits because they had both. Such clever action was taken to deter malevolent factors who were trying to create a rift between the Imperial family and nobilities and to strengthen the stability of both parties.

It was because the Auburne's were not only the Imperial family's most trusted confidants, but their household was also a bridge that connected the other two Dukes and nobilities not only to the Imperial family, but also to the Temple and the Clan.

The Temple still being connected to Everett as he was a Paladin, and the Clan as the deceased Duchess's origin.

Mainly because of these factors, the subtle movements of the unknown group of people in the shadows became aggressive as of late. The union of the House of Auburne and the Imperial family was the cause of the stimulation.