33: Inviolable VS Invincible

"Y/N! Let's go! Shinichiro is waiting for us!"

Your young eyes look at your guardian with wary gaze, and your heart beats with nervousness. It is supposed to be your first day in the dojo. You wanted to apply one for yourself, and luckily this new neighborhood has one where strength and defense can be taught—with a discount.

It wasn't the fact that you'll be meeting new people—no, you are scared of how you will act in front of them. You have been an overthinker since you were a kid. Your mind is too mature and careful despite that age.

"Am scared." You hugged your guardians legs, looking up to those obsidian eyes who stood tall, blocking the sunlight, but they looked at you with warmth and gentleness.

"You must be Y/N."

Shinichiro Sano lowers his stance to meet your gaze. He flashes a kind smile.

"You can call me Shin-nii, it is so nice to meet you! We are excited to have you."

As a child, once a person shows you enough kindness and safety, you will immediately open up to them, and that's what happened to Sano Shinichiro.

Your guardian left you with him, and the young man guided you into the dojo, opening the old Japanese door. The smell of wood with menthol meets your senses.

The dojo is filled with two people and an old man, whose eyes immediately meet yours.

"You must be our new member. Welcome, dear."

The old man warmly said, and you bowed your head in the most perfect degree, like your guardian has taught you, delighting the old Sano.

"Hello, my name is Y/N." You shyly introduced yourself and noticed another obsidian eye that pierces your soul.

"I am Mansaku Sano, don't mind these hoodlums; they are getting punished."

"What?! It's not my fault the dog got in!" Little Baji Keisuke said while Manjiro Sano, who is the other culprit, is silent.

Silent because he is staring at you, looking up at Shinichiro, who is talking about something.

"Hey Mikey! Say to your grandpa that it's the dog's fault!"

"Pretty," Mikey muttered, and he stared until you felt that he was watching you.

He looks away and walks out. It's your turn to watch him go.

You grew older. The once 5-year-old who felt fear and nervousness is now 10 years old with lots of knowledge and strength to apply.

And this time, you developed a strong bond with Keisuke and most of the Sanos. The dojo felt like a safe place to bloom. It felt like your second home.

But there's one thing you can't just improve, and that is your connection with Manjiro Sano.

You always watched his back; you always were. It felt like he was unreachable, like the moon reflected on the water. You can't find yourself talking to a guy who is considered the strongest in the dojo. None of the other kids dared to challenge or even talk to him—hell, he didn't even train with you all, but still, he manages to be strong and skilled.

So watching like a coward is what you always do. He doesn't seem to be talking or interacting that much with other members, only Keisuke, Emma, Shinichiro, or his grandpa.

You have immense admiration for him because you wanted to be strong like him as well.

A wonder.

You wonder if those five years of training were enough to beat a boy like Manjiro. You were curious to find out.

"Fight me"

Everyone went silent. It was a good afternoon; the wind freshly blows, the bells on the doorstep clink, and the leaves meet the ground. You stood confidently in front of Sano Manjiro, and you can vividly remember his young face and gaze with a glint of amusement.

You were so sure that he would agree; after all, you came second if it was talking about the strongest young member Mansaku Sano has ever taught.

"I don't hit girls," Manjiro plainly said. You widen your eyes and scoff.

"Then break that rule for me."

A voice with so much demand that it had Mikey tilt his head. No way, his heart just skipped a beat for that.

"Grandpa will kill me."

"Since when did you ever consider Mr. Sano's feelings?"

Multiple oohs echoed through the dojo. Baji Keisuke's was the loudest, of course.

Manjiro frowns at you and says, "Look, I'm not interested in fighting you. Go away."

His footsteps bring him to the door, but suddenly—

"When will I be interesting enough for you to fight with?"

Mikey smirks when he looks back at you.

'You already are'

Ever since that day, you were persistent in asking for a fight with him, and you didn't notice your worry over the connection. The conflict between you two is slowly mending. You became close through your bickering and daily useless conversations. Manjiro—no, Mikey is slowly opening up to you and will greet you along with Keisuke.

"Say, when will you ever fight me?" You decided to have a sleepover in Sano's household because your guardian is going out of town.

Mikey looks at you while you continue to stare at the stars.

"Probably never"