3. Carstairs

Brother Zachariah

I was invited at the London Institute once again by Will who, through out the year he was inventing the most incredible excuses to summon me here so we can spend the day together. cannot deny that it is my pleasure to spend as much time as I can here. With Will, with Tessa and the kids. I feel grateful for them but mostly when the phrase 'Uncle Jem' comes from Linette, James or Lucie, I am happy that they don't seem to be uneased or afraid by my somewhat disturbing appearance. I am a silent brother after all.

I assumed I arrived earlier than expected as I strolled down the corridor of the room. It was empty and quiet when the sound of my violin stroked my ears. It was Mozart and it came from my former music room, I used to spent endless hours there until Will would come and annoy me. It was honestly the best annoyance in the world. I knew Linette was using that room as I gave her my violin and notes when I first witnessed her as a toddler. I taught her the notes and I am glad to hear she has gotten so far even without my teaching.

I paused outside the door and enjoyed the melody. I hadn't heard music in so long that I simply wanted to enjoy its sound. After some moments I walked in and the girl paused. She was well dressed, even though her expression reminded me of Will when he was bothered by something and would bury himself under a pile of books before he would decide to speak with me. Linette paused her movements and turned to the entrance, I was glad she smiled once she sensed my presence in the room.

"Uncle Jem Good morning." She smiled, she looked grateful it was me. I don't know if it was the fact that I was a silent brother or the common things she had with her parents that help me perceive Linette, James and Lucie's behavior better.

"Good morning Linette. Please don't stop, I haven't heard violin... Since the last time you played." I would smile if I could.

"Perhaps you want to play? I am using gloves either way..." She offered the instrument. She was prepared for the breakfast to welcome the Carstairs, my closest blood-related family. I could sense she was uneased and I knew she wanted to converse something with me. It was the same tone Tessa was using once she wanted to say something. I was glad my niece was trusting me with her issues more than her parents. I mean, I do know how pressuring and overprotective Will and Tessa can be first hand.

"No, my playing would be torture for close-by listeners. Could you play Mozart perhaps. Any symphony you know best." I requested and sat at a chair.

"I know the 40th symphony. The one you have noted yourself." She spoke before she touched the bow to the strings of my old violin and started playing. As the smooth sound of the symphony flooded the room my gaze wandered at the changes that had been done to the room I used to spent most of my time. The fireplace was lit, the small fire roaring and offering a warmth feeling inside the room. The piano was moved next to the door, there was a bookcase on the place where there was empty spots or furniture with white sheets upon them. Utterly unused. The side that was completely empty is filled with paint and canvases empty and with drawings. I saw many paintings, My gaze fell on the family portrait she copied. It was the first Christmas after me and Will had gone through our ceremony. There was Charlotte and Henry in the middle. On Henry's side stood Jessamine, Cyrus and Sophie while on Charlotte's side there was me and Will. Exactly six years before Tessa came into our lives.

Before I knew it the symphony ended and I clapped slowly. "Congratulations, you've come along way on the violin. And as I see with the painting as well. It is pretty." I commented and she nodded as she sat down on the carpet in front of the fireplace. "Will we not join the others at the dining room?" I asked.

"Of course, I wanted to mention that I had a vision the other day... It wasn't much. But you said I should mention when I go through it." Said Linette as her attention was more on the music notes than me. She was organizing them carefully.

"And what triggered it? What did you see?" I wondered.

"We went at the stupid Tavern the Merry Thieves go. And the server, she wiped some ichor from my face and I immediately realized I was being dragged out of my body. I only saw how she turned into a werewolf and how she turned her first wolf... And then casually woke up." She summarized her recent experience with her charisma. Both twins presented to have an ability and both of them seem to dislike that and who could blame them. Tessa and Will worry and I am still studying on the mysticistic books that the City of bones hide. Linette charisma seems to have multidimensional and controversial explanations while James' is more difficult to gather intel about.

"Its alright, you did good to mention it. As I understand it was not that exhausting physically." I made a regard and earnt a positive nod. "How about James? Did he have any incidents?" I asked.

"Look, I do not know if he will talk to you and on this matter I kind of trust you more on this than mama and papa... James disappeared during the battle of last night. We covered for each other to our parents. It was a close call for both of us and Math." Linette spoke with uncertainty although I am sure it was because of the guilt she felt for speaking of her brother.

"Do not be concerned Linette. I am sure James will come to me himself just like you did." I assured her and she nodded. "Is there anything else you wish to share?" I asked her.

"No that was it." She replied.

"Alright then I will be going. Thank you for the small concerto Linette. See you in a while." I greeted and left the room before I made my way to the dining table to find it empty, only cutlery and placed in perfect positions in order for the meal to be prepared. The library, I turned on my way. I opened the wide door and found them by the poetry shelves.

"Well well hello. Look who arrived early." Will commented on my arrival. "You must have missed us." He then added and approached me before he pulled me in a hug.

"Your invitation mentioned 8 o clock... But as a matter of fact I have missed you." I spoke and slowly wrapped my arms around William.

"You seem skeptical. Do the Brothers treat you good or there is any issue." Will asked and looked straight at my face. Even with my new features he could read me as could I.

"Will you needn't worry about me. I guess I felt nostalgic. I heard Linette play. I asked her to play something and she had my old notes." I spoke with a heavy exhale and Tessa placed her hand on my shoulder. It was a painful feeling of nostalgia and melancholy that I never pondered of feeling again. Silent Brothers are not supposed to feel. But I do feel. I feel many things. Perhaps it because my cousin's family. Cordelia, Shawna and Alastair are the only blood relatives I have left.

Will didn't speak. I knew he was feeling this everyday.

"She grew to play just like you." Tessa smiled at me, she was trying to ease the tensity, her gaze darting between me and Will.

"Indeed. I am glad my violin is being used and that the music room is filled with life" I explained and looked at them.

"Can you not say that you are needed here. In order to stay here longer. I am sure Brother Enoch wont need your assistance. James asked for you as well." Will spoke and this got me a bit joyful.

"I could do that..." I spoke and placed my hand on Will's shoulder when a servant walked in to bring a letter from Charlotte. With a quick glance Will read it and I saw annoyance and light anger to be sketched upon his features.

"What is it?" Tessa asked him.

"We have to go to the Cornwall Gardens at the gathering that was arranged, Carstairs are already on their way there. Charlotte only found out, now as she said in the letter." Will spoke up his voice rising as he threw the letter. "I am sorry Jem" He spoke.

"You don't have to apologize. There will be time" I assured him.

"Now go tell your daughter that she will have to go outside." Tessa smiled at Will and patted his shoulder.

"Which one?" Will asked and looked at us confused.

"Lucie will be more excited if we tell her that. Honestly William!" Tessa sighed.

"I will be leaving now. See you soon both." I patted Will's shoulder and left before the situation would get him angrier.