8. the calm before the storm

Tessa Gray

It had been almost an hour since the guest departed the Institute and I could see the concern and fear sketched all over his features. I stood there for a moment surveying his figure as he escorted the Carstairs to their carriage and I felt a small piece of pride and love blooming inside me. He had grown into a such handsome and loving man, and he was the same though as the teenage boy I fell in love with. The way he cared and was trying to push everyone away in order to protect us. It was the first time I felt like family.

And now, I was looking at what we created, our three precious children, and managing to keep Jem in our lives... It felt like a dream. My gaze fell on Jem who returned from the infirmary and I sensed Will looking back, as if he could feel the presence of his parabatai close, even though the bond was technically broken.

"How is Barbara?" I asked him with a smile, I didn't need to see him to know it was Jem. Despite the transformation to Silent Brother he oddly remained the same, the same feathered walking trying to not bother anyone, the same demeanor despite the fact that he didn't experience emotions the same way as a human, or a shadowhunter for that matter. Brother Zachariah, was still our Jem, our family. I could see the happiness on Will's eyes every time one of our kids called him Uncle Jem, or when Lina would play his violin or James would call him more fun than him.

'She is alright, Sophie and Gideon shall soon take her home.' He replied immediately and I let out a sigh of relief. 'And how about Linette?' he asked and all I could was let out an exasperated sigh feeling guilt that I spent the past five minutes admiring my husband forgetting completely my daughter.

"I don't know Jem... We had to put up the act of hosts, she was disorientated when she came around the boys stayed there to keep an eye on her. I suppose if there was an emergency one of them would call for us." I explained, the previous nostalgic feelings were replaced almost immediately, I suddenly felt a shot of fear as I waited for Will so we would check on them. Suddenly my gaze seeked Lucie, for the few seconds it took me to see her waving goodbye to Cordelia I felt my heart sink of fear.

Before Jem could respond Will came back in his hand clutching Lucie's as if she was a little girl again, fearing she would run off to play away from us. The only reason he let go was to approach Jem "What happened?" he asked and hugged him lightly. Now the act was gone and the masquerade was fallen.

"Barbara, seemed to only be lacking energy... haven't eaten properly." Jem spoke, I knew if he could smile assuringly he would.

"And Lina? Is she okay?" Lucie spoke, Will nodded and turned to me and Jem for a respond.

"Boys haven't come, Jem only came so we can go together" I smiled and kissed Lucie's cheek, she was almost the same height as me, James was taller almost as much as his father and Lina seemed to be somewhere in the middle.

"Good, Lets go. Jem How much longer can you stay?" Will asked his gaze to his parabatai.

"As long as needed, and I will come back tomorrow as well if needed" Jem spoke and I saw a glimpse of a small smile on Will as we were approaching Linette's room.

I approached and opened the door and smiled lightly, my gaze fell on our twins, they were both asleep. Lina lost inside the blankets and next to her there was James outside the blankets, on his side and I was almost sure that Lina was grasping his thumb like when they were small, like when they were born. I opened the door wider and walked in with Will. Further in the room there was Matthew sitting on an armchair with a candlelight, he was reading a book. I saw Will smile too momentarily at the twins before he went to Matthew.

"They are angels, so so quiet haven't bothered me all night." Matthew whispered to Will as he closed the book. We both chuckled. Will patted his shoulder lightly as he went to pat James' shoulder. Matthew stood up coming to the door. "Nothing happened to either of them. James was shocked too." He informed me and I smiled at him.