dawn

Pre-Bahrain GP

Max Verstappen

Bahrain. The start of a new season. In the preseason testing, the car looked amazing so I think that we can definitely have a good race.

As per usual, I arrive to the track very very early. Not only does it give me a good reason to get away from my dad, but it's worked the last few years. I doubt any of the drivers have arrived yet, since to my knowledge, none of them have a reason to escape from their own families.

I check into my hotel and head to my room. It's late at night, so I'll just take a shower and go to sleep... that is if I can sleep. I always carry melatonin as I often struggle to calm my racing mind.

Charles Leclerc

I arrived to Bahrain very early as I had nothing to do in Monaco. I did not expect any of the drivers to be here, which is why when I saw Max Verstappen check into the hotel yesterday, I was shocked. I was simply going to the bar to get a drink (only one this time), when I saw him at the desk with all his luggage. Honestly, he didn't look too good. He looked burnt out, even though the season hasn't even begun. I would ask him about it, but it's not like he and I talk outside of the brief moments in the drivers parade or the cool down room. It's not my problem, so I won't bother.

I decide to take the Ferrari that the team gave me for the race week and go see the city a little bit. As I'm getting back to the hotel, I run into Max himself. He doesn't know that I saw him yesterday, though. I give him a small nod but he stops.

"Charles, what are you doing here this early? I didn't expect anyone else to be here."

"I didn't have anything better to do, I was alone in Monaco and figured why not come here, time difference and all. What about you, why are you here?"

"I was alone in Monaco as well, but I have a bit of a routine now that I come to the race location quite early. Bahrain is quite nice as well, so why not spend some time in a different place?"

"Yeah... um well I'll see you around," I say, and head back to my room. Why was Max in Monaco? Usually all the drivers go to spend time with their families during the winter break. I know he doesn't have the best relationship with his dad, but how bad can it be? Jos is pretty well behaved from what I can see. Whatever... not my circus, not my monkey.

~

As the days pass, more and more people start to show up. Drivers, team principals, pitstop crews... it's insane how many people are required to travel to make F1 possible. Pierre and I have been hanging out, and we've gone to some parties where I did NOT drink as much. I've seen Max a couple times since our brief conversation, but we haven't spoken again. I don't know why, but something about him is throwing me off right now, and I don't know what it is. Again, it's not my problem so I really just need to forget about it.

It's Thursday night and I'm in my room after getting dinner with my teammate, Carlos Sainz, and a few people from Ferrari. The car looks decent, so I think we'll be able to achieve a good result this weekend. All of a sudden I feel short for breath. No no no... not here please, I pray. My anxiety doesn't seem to care though. I sit against the wall of my hotel room, still short for breath and feeling paralyzed. My hands start shaking as I reach for my phone and call Pierre. The call goes to voicemail. I call Carlos, and it also goes to voicemail. Those are the only two people here who really know about my anxiety attacks. Fuck. I go through my phone contacts and dial the first person who I know is in my hotel, Williams driver Alex Albon. Thankfully, he answers.

"What's up Charles?"

"I need help... room 116... anxiety attack," I stammer out.

"Fuck okay I'll be there in a few minutes. Hang in there Charles."