17: Catching Feelings

Jasmine

I head towards the food court inside the mall with Kelly and Bianca. They surprised me last night with a sleepever to help cheer me up. So far, they have done a great job because I really am feeling better. The fact that it is a Saturday really helps with my good mood as well. The other reason for my happy mood has to do with Angel. He messaged me yesterday and wants to get together so we can talk. I am not sure what it is about, but I believe it has to do with us, and that makes me nervous because that could mean just about anything.

We make it to the food court and check out all of the restaurants trying to decide what we are going to eat.

"I'm honestly feeling like Chinese." Bianca says, and Kelly agrees.

I tilt my head at the menu in front of me.

"I think I'll get some tacos or maybe a burrito."

"A burrito is the only correct choice."

I turn around to see a smiling Carter. A smile spreads across my face.

"What are you doing here? I thought you had to help your mom?"

"Just had to finish up what we were working on yesterday. That's why I couldn't make it to your little sleepover." He wraps an arm around me, pulling me close and placing a kiss on my forehead. It's crazy how I'm already so used to his affection. I expect it now.

"Hey Bea, Kel." He nods towards my best friends, and they both respond with a Hey of their own.

"Have you eaten?" I ask Carter while lazily letting my body rest against his.

"Yeah, my mom made something, but I will definitely go for a dessert." He looks around the food court, and when his eyes land on what he wants, he kisses my forehead again and then lets me go before making his way to an ice cream place.

I watch him as he walks away. There is something a bit off with him today, and I make a mental note to check in on him later.

I end up getting tacos and a burrito, and now I make my way to the table where Carter sits alone. I take a seat beside him and eye up his ice cream.

"Don't even think about it." He turns a little shielding his ice cream from me.

"I didn't want any of it anyway, Mr. Selfish."

"Good because you weren't getting any anyway." He says in a sassy tone.

I suddenly leap at him, and he stretches his arm out, trying to keep me from getting some of his ice cream.

"Share Carter!" I yell, doing my best to reach for his ice cream while he holds me back.

"No!" He yells, "Get your own!"

"I just want a bite!" I push his chair back and climb into his lap. He holds his arm stretched out above his head so I can't reach the ice cream in his hand. He tickles my side with his other hand, trying to distract me. We both laugh hysterically as we struggle against each other.

"Boyfriends are supposed to share with their girlfriends!" I yell.

"Says who?!" He raises his eyebrows.

"Says all girlfriends everywhere!" I punch him in his stomach, and he gasps, but his grip on his ice cream doesn't falter.

"Fine, you want some ice cream?!" He challenges me.

"Obviously!"

"Okay then." He reaches up and takes his spoon from his cup and spreads ice cream all over his full lips before trying to attack me with kisses.