Chapter 19 - PDA

Lily

The following day, the weather is perfect as I walk to class. I stayed up late trying to get ahead in my classes, but luckily I didn't have any early classes.

I'm crossing the quad when I spot some commotion. My skin tingles, and I instantly recognize Ethan. He's laughing with Liam and they check something on Liam's phone before gesturing for the crowd to stay back as they take their place.

There's a guy filming them as the music starts to play. I slow down and watch them dance, executing the movements to perfection. There's something so hot about a guy that knows how to use his body.

By the almost swooning women around him, I gather I'm not the only one that thinks that. They applaud and cheer. Some of them even take selfies and I just know that they're the popular girls.

For a moment, I wonder what it would be like to be one of them. I could take a selfie here as well and upload it with some comment about our date. But that's not me.

Ethan and Liam finish the dance and take a breath, discussing something, before telling the person with the music to play it again.

Ethan is shining in front of the camera. He thrives with an audience and I can tell it gives him energy.

Put a camera on me, and it's as if it sucks the life out of me and I fall apart.

Because we're too different.

Because he's out of my league.

I have to walk past him to get to class, so as the music starts again, I walk and keep my head down. If he doesn't see me, then it won't hurt when he ignores me.

But I can't resist and glance over just as I've passed him.

His eyes home in on me as if by laser focus. His movements stutter and he smiles. I give him a small wave and a smile and keep walking. It's ok. He can do his popular boy things and see me when there are fewer people around. He's the most famous hockey player at UNI and I'm a nobody. I'm not even pretty.

To my surprise, he takes off in a sprint.

"Lily."

My heart gallops as he comes to a halt in front of me. Blinking up at him, my mouth falls open. Everyone is watching us.

"Where are you going?" he asks, as if he didn't just leave everyone to come to me.

"I have class," I say and adjust my bag, mostly to have something to do.

"Are you in a hurry? Why didn't you stop to say hi?"

My cheeks flush. "I didn't want to disturb you."

His brow furrows. Then he reaches out and takes my bag.

"Come on, let me be like the guy in old movies and carry your books for you."

His smile warms me all the way to my toes, and I laugh.

"I don't have any books," I say and half heartedly try to take my bag back.

"Then I'll carry your laptop."

He puts the bag across his chest, and I lose myself in his dark brown eyes. How does he always make me feel so comfortable and... good? It's like he's radiating feel-good hormones or something.

He steps closer and puts his hand on my cheek. A movement that's becoming familiar.

"You can't do that in public. It drives me mad." His voice is lower now.

"Do what?" I ask, equally hushed.

"Bite your lip. It makes me want to do this."

Before I can react, he leans in and softly kisses my bottom lip. He runs his tongue over it before sucking gently.