Chapter 20 - Exposed

Lily

After my last class of the day, I still have a smile tugging at my lips. I pack up my things and follow the stream of people out of the room. Being so caught up in my fantasy, it takes me a while to notice someone is walking next to me. I glance up. And stop.

Ethan smiles.

"You're pretty when you're all lost in your own little world."

My stomach flips and I look around, making sure this isn't a joke or some kind of illusion.

"What are you doing here? Were you waiting for me?"

He shrugs. "I wanted to give you a heads up."

The hesitation in his voice. The way he rubs the back of his neck. Something's wrong.

"About what?" I ask and ignore the people that have to walk around us.

Ethan grabs my elbow and steers me to the side. "So, it seems someone took some pictures of us earlier."

Not quite understanding, I furrow my brow. He takes out his phone and shows me. Yup, it's us. Kissing.

I swallow. "Oh."

"Listen, I know you're not big on social media, and I'm really sorry I dragged you into this. I wasn't thinking."

I tilt my head. "What makes you think I'm not into social media?"

"Because I couldn't find you." He instantly freezes, as if realizing what he just admitted to.

A smile spreads on my lips. "You looked for me?"

He rubs his neck again and studies the floor between us. "Yeah, I looked. And I couldn't find you. Was I just bad at looking?"

My cheeks grow hot. "I go by a nickname. One my dad gave me."

He perks up. "What is it?"

I purse my lips and shake my head.

"Come on, tell me." He gently grabs my chin and lifts it so I have to look at him. His expression is so eager it melts my resolve.

I bite my lip. "It's silly."

"Tell me."

I take a deep breath. "Colorfly."

His face drops into confusion. "What?"

"I used to love butterflies when I was a kid and my dad would take me to the botanical garden to see them," I ramble. "But I didn't think they looked like butter at all. So I told him they should really be called colorflies. From then on, dad used to call me his little colorfly."

When I finish the story, I'm almost horrified that I've shared something so personal. It's not something I've ever told anyone else, but it is one of my most cherished memories.

"Fuck, that's adorable." Ethan's kiss takes me by surprise, but it's just a peck. "Hold up, I've seen that word before."

I bite my lip again as I watch him try to remember. I'm not sure how bad it is.

He gasps. Then his eyes go wide. "You follow me."

I'm beet red by now. And he is way too excited.

I clear my throat. "Maybe."

"You do." He steps in closer and puts his hands on my waist. "You're my little stalker."

I half-heartedly try to escape his grip. Instead of letting me go, he holds me tighter.

"Don't worry," he says and lowers his mouth to my ear. "You can make it up to me."

Pulling my head back, I look up at him. "What do you mean? How?"