Chapter 34 - Connor and crying

Lily

There are a lot of thoughts that burn through my mind that afternoon. In the end, I know what I'm doing is stupid. But it's what I want.

I want to be with Ethan for as long as possible. Maybe I'm delusional, but I think I could be happy with him until it's time to say goodbye.

I should give more thought to the consequences and be smarter. But hour after hour, I just get more excited to still have some time with him.

Perhaps I shouldn't forgive him so easily, but if we only have limited time, then I have to believe that he didn't mean to deceive me. And I can understand how hard it would be to bring up a future engagement with a woman you're sleeping with.

When I spot Connor at a table with some friends, it barely registers. He's not in my section, so I don't have to care. He's no longer part of my life. After the last disastrous interaction, I even blocked him everywhere.

At one point, I do feel a bit uncomfortable as I notice him staring at me, but it's not my problem anymore.

I finish my shift with no sign of Ethan. As I get to the back room, I find a couple of messages on my phone.

Shit, I just noticed the time. I'm on my way.

I'm so sorry, I was kicking Liam's ass in a game.

I completely lost track of time, but I'm coming as soon as possible.

You're probably done already, so I'll wait in the parking lot, if you don't mind?

The last message came a minute ago. I send him a quick reply that I'm on my way out in and get changed.

There's always a lingering smell of french fries and stale beer on me after a shift, and I sincerely hope Ethan doesn't mind. There's no way to get rid of the smell without a shower.

I apply some deodorant and hope for the best. After saying goodbye to Gina and the others, I head out through the back so I can take out the trash at the same time.

I throw away the bags and hear the door slam behind me. I'm instantly on edge.

"You didn't answer me," a voice slurs.

I turn and face Connor.

"What?" He's blocking the path to the parking lot, but I doubt he'd be stupid enough to try anything here.

"I texted you to come fuck, but you didn't answer me."

"I blocked you."

"Well, that was stupid."

"You're drunk." I sidestep him and try to get past.

"Yup, and you're a bitch for not coming over to fuck."

I sigh. "Why do you even care? It's not like you even like fucking me."

He smirks dangerously, and an icy shiver runs down my spine.

"I had some ideas about that. Besides, I figured you'd like it."

I scoff. The sound is louder than I anticipated.

"Give it a rest, Connor." I try again to move around him.

"Why are you acting like this?" He stops me.

"Like what?"

"Like you don't care about me anymore."

"Because I don't. We're over."

He laughs a little. "Just because you have that fuckboy running after you, you think you're over me?"

"What do you want, Connor?" This is exhausting. He gets even stupider when he's drunk.