Chapter 28 - Family obligations

Ethan

"Hey, man. You ok?" Liam stands in front of me as I get dressed after the game.

I throw my towel with all the pent up energy that's still coursing through me.

"Fine." I avoid looking at him and put on my watch.

"Dude, you're not fine. What was that on the ice? You were playing as if the other team were the villains about to take over the world and you're the only one who could stop them from blowing up all the orphanages."

I stare at him. "You have to stop watching those superhero movies."

He just shrugs in response. "You're still not fine."

I glance around, but most of the guys have already left, so we have a bit of privacy. With a sigh, I sit down and Liam joins me.

"No, I'm not ok." It's hard to admit, but there it is.

"Is it Lily?"

My heart is in my throat. "What? Lily? Is something wrong with Lily?" A mild panic grows inside.

"You tell me. Is she the reason you're... whatever you are?"

"Lily is perfect." A ray of sunshine in my heart makes me smile at the thought of her. She's the one thing in my life that's just right.

Henry's words about gold diggers ring through my mind. Well, almost perfect. We had lunch once this week, both of us were super busy, and to my disappointment, the lunch included actual food. Which I paid for. Again.

"If it's not Lily, then what? Why were you trying to fight everyone tonight?"

I close my eyes. I'm so tired.

"You know how the car was a bribe?"

"One hell of a bribe."

Nodding, I almost wish I had never taken it. I should have stayed in Croatia, or gone to Dubai. Wherever.

"So, I have a deal with my parents. Well, not so much a deal as something I have to do for the family. For the business."

"What kind of deal?"

"The kind where I got four years at UNI. Four years of hockey and living my life however I wanted. Four years of freedom before I get married and take my place in the company."

Liam shifts in his seat as I stare at my hands. The knuckles are red. I don't remember why, but adrenaline runs high on the ice.

"So, let me get this straight," Liam finally says. "Once you graduate, you have to get married? But you also have a guaranteed job?"

"Antonia Pierce."

"Who?"

"She's the daughter of one of my dad's business acquaintances. They've been thinking for a long time that they should cooperate more. But both of them have a hard time trusting each other. So they set up this marriage. Once the families are joined, we'll be able to take full advantage of both businesses."

"So, you've got what, like seven months left?"

"I was supposed to. But I recently found out that the timeline has shifted. Something about a big deal on the Chinese market. I didn't listen. My engagement dinner will be right before Christmas."

"Fuck." Liam sounds as deflated as I feel.

The last of the players leave the locker room and we're alone.

"Do you want to marry her?"

Leaning my elbows on my knees, I stare at the floor.

"Antonia isn't a bad person. We've hung out a bit on some vacations when we were younger. We see each other at parties. That kind of stuff. She's a decent prospect, and I believe she'd make a good wife."