➤ chapter 5 : lesson to be learned

TRIGGER WARNING : violence, abuse

MIIZUMI STARES AT the portrait of her and kaizo. she looks into her own eyes, how the light that used to sparkle can't even be seen anymore.

she can see kaizo's evil intentions in his smirk. she should've known from the beginning he was no good.

kaizo ripped through one of her favorite dresses the day before. it was sewn by her mom before she left the palace.

miizumi wishes she knew where ursa went. sometimes she even wishes for ursa to come back. the girl feels lost, even when zuko and ursa are gone miizumi still struggles to be seen.

the girl didn't realize but she had started to cry. she moves her hair out of her face, putting some of it in a bun as she grabs her sword that rested on her wall in its holster. her eyes dart to the mirror next to her and she hates how much she looks like ursa.

miizumi takes her sword, softly piercing the material of the canvas. she vertically drags the blade down the portrait which makes a neat split between her and kaizo. a short intake of breath follows her lips as she looks at the ring with a blood red rhodonite in the middle.

she tears the ring off her finger, tossing it across her room with a loud cry. she collapses to the ground as her bangs stick to her face, wet with her own tears. she wraps her arms around herself and imagines it to be ursa or ozai comforting her through such a hard time.

the sunlight reflects off the sword that is a few inches from miizumi and she shields her eyes from the light. she grabs her sword and looks at the painting as she attempts to regulate her breathing.

"what have i done?" miizumi whispers, gently touching the spot on the painting that her sword cut.

"have you been firebending?" ozai asks as he walks into miizumi's room. she looks at him and quickly wiped her eyes.

"father. n-no, i haven't." she stammers as she stands up.

"i received an anonymous letter saying my daughter has been going against my wishes." ozai explains. he circles miizumi and looks at the sword on the floor. he then looks at the portrait. "what is this?" he asks.

"im sorry." she replies.

"answer me!" ozai shouts.

"i-i didn't mean to!" miizumi exclaims.

"this is disappointing to see." ozai says and stands in front of miizumi. "you're a firebender, aren't you?" miizumi feels hot tears prick at her eyes yet again.

"yes, sir." she whispers.

"i thought i forbid you from bending eight years ago! so why have i gotten a message that you have been doing so behind my back?" ozai asks.

"i am sorry. i never meant to disrespect you." miizumi says.

"who taught you? because it couldn't have been me." he responds. "was it your sister?"