➤ chapter 29 : promise

MIIZUMI SITS ONTO the ground as she finds another interesting book

MIIZUMI SITS ONTO the ground as she finds another interesting book. she has always had a love for books since she was young. as she split apart from the others and wandered around the library, she found herself walking down an aisle of red books decorated with yellow designs.

she could only recognize the books as fire nation and immediately drowned in the literature world. the last time she had ever really read a book was when she was young and unaware of the future she would see later on.

surrounded by a pile of books, she flips through the pages of a book called 'the world's most beautiful vacation spots.' a smile appears on her face as she spots ember island listed on number fourteen.

she had grown up in ember island, and if it weren't for her family, she would've wanted her kids to grow up there too.

she flips the page another time and sees a whole page dedicated to the royal family at ember island. and there it is, something she thought could no longer haunt her: a picture of her and her family from nine years ago.

ozai's hand rests on azula's shoulder as ursa does the same to zuko, and a young miizumi stands in the middle with the biggest smile than the rest of her family.

neither ozai or ursa put a hand on miizumi, which the girl doesn't seem to find surprising now thats she's older.

"what are you doing, mii?" sokka asks as he walks down the aisle and looks at miizumi.

"reading." miizumi replies with the biggest smile sokka's ever seen since he met her. he walks towards her and picks up the books scattered along the floor, putting them back in their correct spot. "wait, i'm still reading those." she exclaims.

"oh, sorry." sokka says, putting the books back on the cold tile. "whatcha reading about?" he sits down next to her and rests his back on the bookshelf.

"vacation spots." miizumi explains. "when all of this is over, i wanna go see the world. i missed out on so much when i was at the fire nation, i have so much to make up for."

"i mean, i've been around the world so far and trust me, it's not that great." sokka sighs and miizumi glares at him with a small pout.

"but, of course, i'll take you wherever you want to go." his eyes drift to the page the girl can't seem to turn away from and places a hand on her shoulder as he looks at the family picture.

"aww, you look so cute!" sokka points to younger miizumi with messy hair, her bangs covering her face as she clings onto zuko's arm in a tankini with small flowers printed across the material.

"and nothing has changed!" he throws an arm over her shoulder, causing her to look at him.

"really?" miizumi asks, her voice softening.

"of course. if your parents knew that you'd be the best princess in the history of princesses, well... i don't know." sokka replies.

with the understanding that she hasn't been complimented in such a way, therefore she's at a loss for words, he simply presses a kiss to her forehead.

"how'd a loving woman like your mom marry an evil man like ozai?" he asks.

"bold of you to assume she was loving." she scoffs and looks up at sokka before continuing. "she had no choice but to marry him. it was an arranged marriage."

"and you said she wasn't loving?"

miizumi bites the inside of her cheek, thinking of how to respond. she considers changing the subject, but when she looks at sokka the only thing she can feel is security and comfort, a feeling that's a little less foreign to her than others.

"she said she saw too much of herself within me, and she hated it. me and azula are definitely her daughters, that's for sure. we're the spitting image of our mom, me in a few more ways than my sister." miizumi sighs.

"azula's been seen as a powerful firebender and future leader all her life. me on the other hand, i've been engaged to this jerk since i was six. that's why i ran away. to escape that life. and i don't regret it at all."

"wait, you're engaged?" sokka asks.

"not anymore." miizumi holds out her hand to reveal her bare ring finger where a ring with a blood red rhodonite in the middle once was.

"so, does that mean i have a chance after all this is over?" he smirks and she blankly stares at him. he sticks his pinky out and motions for her to do the same.

"i, sokka, promise i won't ever put princess miizumi of the fire nation in harm's way for as long as i may live. and i'll even watch over her in the afterlife." sokka declares as he puts his hand on his chest. he interlocks his pinky with her's and smiles at her.

"it's a pinky promise." he says. "something that can't be broken."

"okay, well," miizumi begins. "i, miizumi, promise i'll let sokka marry me one day." she says as she tries to hold in her laughter when she sees sokka's reddened cheeks.

"promise."

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

K TALKS!

a small moment with each other bc my babies deserve it after all this war <3

END.