➤ chapter 16 : everything she wasn't

AFTER WANDERING THROUGH the swamp for almost two hours, miizumi feels discouraged

AFTER WANDERING THROUGH the swamp for almost two hours, miizumi feels discouraged. the constant pounding in the back of her head doesn't help, but she keeps going. she refuses to be caught by those vine things again.

the same bird from earlier startles her and she turns around, glaring the winged animal. she throws a ball of fire to the bird, telling it to shut up, and it flies away. she spots a figure standing in the distance, a tall woman.

"katara!" miizumi calls. she picks up the water tribe dress she wears, quickly making her way to her. as she walks closer, she realizes that isn't katara at all. "excuse me, miss?" she asks.

the lady turns around and miizumi feels her breath hitch.

"mom?" miizumi asks barely above a whisper. her eyes meet ursa's and she can see her expression full of horror in the reflection of the woman's dark eyes.

"miizumi, i wish i had a say in it." ursa reaches for miizumi's shoulder but the girl pulls away.

"leave me alone." miizumi chokes back a sob as she turns in the other direction.

"i wish you didn't have to endure the same pain i did, my love." ursa sighs. miizumi stops walking and a lump forms in her throat.

"you don't understand half of what i've been through." miizumi glares at ursa. "and the worst part is you didn't love me just because i was a firebender!"

"that's what you thought?" ursa asks, her features softening.

"you never showed me any affection. what was i supposed to think?" miizumi scoffs.

"you're just too much like me. i hate it." the woman whispers. miizumi's shoulders fall as she wipes her tears before they spill from her eyes.

"i'm nothing like you. i don't want to be anything like you." ursa pulls miizumi into a hug and the girl can't even pull away because her body is overcome with so many emotions at once.

"please, i know i wasn't the best mother but please, tell me what's on your mind. let me look into my daughter's heart one more time." ursa explains as she looks at miizumi's tearful eyes.

"you mean for the first time?" miizumi asks. a blue flame sparks in the palm of her hand and ursa grabs her wrist to prevent her from firebending.

ursa has always thought of firebending as violent and destructive, something she doesn't want to see within her daughter.

"i can't." miizumi's voice heightens as she feels her legs collapse under her. she falls to her knees and ursa effortlessly catches her.

"i love you, miizumi. i do." ursa says.

"no, you don't. because... you had three kids and chose your favorite out of us. zuko got you and azula got dad and i got nobody. i had nobody to turn to. i had nowhere to go. every time i wanted you to talk to me, you walked right past me and went straight to zuko." miizumi stammers.