➤ chapter 9 : the team

"WAIT, MIIZUMI

"WAIT, MIIZUMI." KATARA calls. she sees miizumi with her bag and assumes the girl is leaving.

"you followed me?" miizumi scoffs. "yeah, no." she begins to walk away and katara slaps the girl in the back of the head with a line of water.

"i don't want to fight you again." katara says. "if it weren't for sokka, you probably would've beaten me. you're a worthy opponent."

"what do you want? to turn me in?" miizumi turns around and glares at her. "i heard you say it yourself. ten million is ten million."

"well, that is true but i don't think you should go back there." katara replies. she had seen the burn on miizumi's neck earlier.

"i don't need you to tell me what you think is best for me." miizumi sighs.

"but im right, aren't i?" the brunette asks.

"so, what? you're right." miizumi exclaims. she watches katara pull her hands from behind her back and reveals a pair of dry, folded clothes.

"i have some clothes you can wear." katara explains. "they're water tribe, but they're dry. and i'm sorry for getting you wet."

"your brother's pretty stupid." the fire nation girl folds her arms over her chest.

"tell me something i don't know." katara softly smiles. she holds her hands out for miizumi to take the clothes. "we don't want to leave you."

"thats cute, but don't expect to get some kind of inside information on the fire nation." miizumi replies as she takes the clothes. "im not just an asset to your little team."

"you think we're a team?" katara smirks and miizumi rolls her eyes.

"a waterbender and two non-benders? you might be a team but you're weak." miizumi says.

"aang's a bender. he can bend air and water." katara replies.

"how.. how can he bend two elements? especially air? i thought the fire nation wiped them all out." miizumi asks.

"he's the avatar. it's a long story, but at the end of the day, i don't expect any information like that. i can tell you're good at what you do, and i think that's something we need." katara explains. miizumi feels her features soften and she drops her backpack on the ground.

"i'm going to go change. i'll be back." miizumi sighs, walking behind a tree.

"cool." katara smiles and turns around to give the girl privacy as she changes.

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

"and then yue turned into the moon!" aang exclaims. him, katara, sokka and miizumi are gathered around the campfire. recalling their most recent adventure.

"that really happened?" miizumi turns to sokka who sits next to her.

"yeah." sokka sighs as he looks up at the moon that illuminates the night sky.

"that's rough, buddy." miizumi chuckles as she takes a bite of her fish.

"now aang only has to learn two more elements." katara says.

"one." aang corrects her.

"you expect to defeat my father without knowing the art of firebending? you might as well give up right now, aang." miizumi scoffs and sokka jabs the side of her stomach with his elbow.

"what? if you don't know how to firebend, you won't be able to defeat my father and you won't be able to win this war. that's the way it is."

"i'll find another way. im the avatar and the avatar always finds another way." aang sighs. "fire is just destruction. i've already hurt someone by firebending. i dont want to do it again." he looks at katara.

"im gonna go get more wood. im cold." sokka mutters, starting to stand up but miizumi tells him to sit back down.

"it's not just destruction." miizumi says and makes the fire bigger. "it all depends on the person." she pulls her hair over her right shoulder and shows the scar on the left side of her neck. sokka looks at her and feels a little bad for her.

"the person who did this to me was.. or is a bad person. he doesn't deserve the gift of firebending because he uses it to hurt people."

"see, aang!" katara exclaims and puts a hand on his shoulder. "you on the other hand, you won't use firebending to hurt people, would you?" she asks.

"no. but... i just.. i don't want to do it. sorry, miizumi." aang stammers.

"it's cool." miizumi shrugs. as aang and katara start talking, sokka tries to start up a conversation with miizumi.

"your scar is badass." sokka says and regrets his words. why would he bring up something traumatic for her? "but not like that, i mean it as a compliment."

"thanks, i guess." miizumi replies. "your mind works in ways that people in my country consider stupid."

"you trying to be funny?" sokka asks. "because im the king of humor and i can tell you that wasn't funny at all."

"im not trying to be funny. i can be funny when i want to, and right now im being honest, moron." miizumi pushes his face away with a small smile.

sokka notices miizumi smile and looks at her hair that katara put in a higher ponytail than before, braiding some strands so she'd look more like a water tribe girl. his eyes drift to the moon and feels himself smile.

END.