➤ chapter 14 : so we meet again

MIIZUMI STANDS NEXT to katara on the platform where the four of them are supposed to make the final trade

MIIZUMI STANDS NEXT to katara on the platform where the four of them are supposed to make the final trade. she expects to see mai's parents, but she hears aang and sokka quietly talk.

"there's more?" aang asks. miizumi walks between the boys and sees the girls she used to hang out with every day at the palace. mai and ty lee, her best friends. azula, her sister.

"so it is you, mii!" azula evilly smiles. she only does so to conceal her emotions from finally seeing her sister again. miizumi and azula used to be each other's twin flames, yet now the only thing they are is faded memories.

for miizumi, it feels like staring into a mirror, where on the other side is a more corrupt version of yourself. azula looks like the trauma of the fire nation hasn't caught up to her yet. it's known that she has always been ozai's favorite.

"we meet again." miizumi folds her arms over her chest.

"come on, is that any way to greet your sister?" azula asks and aang, sokka and katara all look at each other. "what are you doing here?"

"a business trade. tom-tom for the old guy." miizumi responds, looking at king bumi who is lowered to the ground in a skin-tight cell while laughing manaically.

"you brought my brother?" mai asks.

"he's here." aang replies as sokka holds tom-tom im his arms. "we're ready to trade."

"im sorry but a thought just occurred to me. do you mind?" azula begins and miizumi rolls her eyes, knowing this won't end well.

"of course not, princess azula." mai replies.

"we're trading a two-year-old for a king—a powerful earthbending king. it just doesn't seem like a fair trade." the girl says.

"you're right." mai walks towards the other group. "the deal's off." she says, sending bumi back into the sky.

"bumi!" aang calls. he begins to run towards the man, leaving a trail of dust. azula sends a wave of blue fire towards him and he easily jumps over.

"we've gotta get the baby out of here!" katara says as mai and ty lee run towards the others.

"way ahead of you." sokka replies.

"go! i got them." miizumi yells and watches her friends run in the opposite direction. ty lee disappears under the floorboards and miizumi looks at mai.

"you're with the avatar now?" mai asks. she considers miizumi one of her best friends, if not her closest friend.

"i couldn't take it anymore and you knew that. it's insufferable there." the dark-haired girl explains.

"it's insufferable here too." mai softly laughs but miizumi doesn't even smile.

"well, let's get this over with." miizumi says. as much as she doesn't want to fight her friend, mai, ty lee and azula are fighting on the wrong side of the war. and she knows that's something they can't comprehend.

it took her months to understand the damage the fire nation had done, so it would take those three even longer.

"i don't want to fight you." mai sighs as she shoves her throwing stars into her pocket.

"fine. then i'll give you a reason to fight me." miizumi kicks her leg towards mai, flames coming from her foot. mai dodges the heat and throws three stars at miizumi.

she jumps into a hole in the floor and runs underground. she crouches as the stars hit the floor above her and mai looks around for miizumi.

miizumi bursts through the floorboards behind mai and sends a heat wave to her back. the girl collapses onto the ground and miizumi approaches her.

she feels two hits in her arm and ty lee smiles at her. miizumi grabs her arm, knowing ty lee used chi blocking to weaken her.

"i missed you!" ty lee smiles.

"how are you gonna fight without your bending?" mai asks as she stands up.

"bending isn't my only talent." miizumi grabs her dagger out of its holster, swinging at mai as ty lee begins to fight katara.

miizumi cuts open the satchel where mai holds all her stars, the weapons falling onto the ground.

mai glares at the girl and begins throwing punches at her. miizumi shoves the blunt handle of her dagger into her mouth, holding it with her teeth.

she grabs one of mai's fists as the other one hits her in her cheek. miizumi holds her fingers tightly together and swings at mai's side.

the girl shortly grunts in pain and miizumi gets a hold of both of mai's fists. mai drops to the ground, kicking miizumi in her stomach and flipping her over.

miizumi lands on her hands and feet as she slides across the ground from the impact. mai grabs one of her stars off the ground and throws it at miizumi.

suddenly, sokka's boomerang hits mai's star and it flies out of the way. the girls look to sokka who is flying above them on appa.

appa flies down and hits ty lee and mai away with his tail. miizumi stands up, shaking her arm as she joins sokka and katara on appa.

"thanks, sokka." katara smiles.

"i know, what would you do without me?" sokka smirks.

"don't get too confident." miizumi replies. the boy grabs appa's reins and flies him down to where aang, azula and bumi are.

"there's aang!" katara points to aang and bumi.

"we can catch him!" sokka exclaims as they fly down next to aang. miizumi turns around and sees azula coming towards them.

"hang on, bumi! our ride's here!" aang yells. azula smirks at miizumi. a part of her assumes that her sister wouldn't dare try to fight her, but then again, she is jealous. or that's what azula thinks.

aang airbends and sends him and bumi flying over appa. sokka and katara try to catch them but fail and the two fall onto a lower level. miizumi watches azula follow with no hesitation.

miizumi begins to stand up on appa and she feels sokka grab her leg. she looks behind her and katara is holding appa's reins as sokka holds miizumi.

"be careful." sokka says.

"im fine." miizumi responds. she creates a ball of fire, sending it to azula.

the flames brush against azula's cheek and she looks at miizumi, shocked. she tries to keep her focus on aang until bumi earthbends and a rock blocks azula's path.

azula stops and glares at miizumi, her shoulders heaving up and down.

"you're so dead this time, mii." azula smirks. miizumi scoffs as appa lands on the ground where aang stands, with no bumi.

"where's bumi?" katara asks.

"you were right, katara. there are other people who can teach me earthbending." aang sighs. miizumi sits down next to sokka as she holds her arm.

"are you okay?" sokka asks.

"why would i not be okay?" miizumi replies.

"you knew those girls, didn't you? and you had to fight them. that takes a lot of courage." sokka explains.

"yeah, but at the end of the day, it's fine." she sighs and she turns her head to look at him. sokka silently places his hand over hers.

he wants her to be comfortable expressing her emotions to him, to be comfortable letting him into her heart. he can tell by the scar on her neck and tough demeanor, she's more than what she appears to be. all he can do is wait until the moment she learns how to open up.

END.