➤ chapter 22 : miizumi alone

MIIZUMI STIRS IN her sleeping spot next to sokka

MIIZUMI STIRS IN her sleeping spot next to sokka. something is keeping her from falling asleep. she sits up, rubbing her eyes. she looks at the boy next to her then to toph on the other side of her. katara is sleeping near aang who is resting on appa.

she softly squeezes sokka's hand before she stands up, a small flame rising from the palm of her hand to use as a flashlight. she moves. the branches out of her face as she walks through the woods to a small pond.

the moon reflects off the clear water and miizumi squints her eyes from the light. she sits down, tracing her fingertips over the surface of the water as she pulls her knees to her chest.

FOUR YEARS AGO

"hey, watch this!" ty lee smiles. she does flips and cartwheels across the sand and miizumi watches her with a smile.

"i can do that too." the girl stands up and follows ty lee's movements. she lands with her hands in the air.

she sees zuko and mai clap for her and she proudly bows. azula walks towards the two girls and pushes ty lee over, laughing and pointing at her.

"where were you at?" mai asks.

"training." azula smirks as she sits down on the sand. miizumi and zuko look at each other for a moment before she feels something hit her foot. she looks down to see a volleyball and she picks it up.

"hey, over here!" a boy calls as he stands on a volleyball court with some other people on both sides. miizumi tosses the ball back to him with a small smile.

"we should go play." miizumi turns to the others.

"no." mai says.

"why not?" azula smirks.

"might be fun." miizumi grins at her sister as azula walks to her, putting her hand on her shoulder.

"they're not good anyways. i'm sure we won't even break a sweat. this'll just be something to keep us busy."

"great minds think alike, mii. mai, zuzu, ty lee, let's go!" azula exclaims. miizumi leads them to the side of the court opposite from the other team.

one of the opponents roll the ball to her. miizumi throws the ball into the air, jumping up and hitting the volleyball over the net.

one of the players on the other side returns the ball and zuko steps forward, setting the ball high for azula to tip it barely over the net. the player takes a dive, but the ball hits the ground.

"wow." azula scoffs and ty lee angrily glares at her. "i mean, a for effort, right?" she smirks. miizumi starts the next round off with another flawless serve.

the boy from earlier passes it to his teammate, who hits it over. ty lee jumps with a boost from zuko and slams the ball back to the ground with her foot.