The Egg

Rue

I am adrift in the deep Pacific as I float in the vastness of the purples and blues as I am breathing...underwater. Soon, I felt the slick texture of oils from a scaly tail as I looked down at a beautiful mermaid that has captivated my mind since I was just seven years old.

Her eyes were turquoise green, her shiny hair almost blonde as she ran her delicate fingers over my face as she looked at me with a sense of wonder, however, all I felt was terror.

Her pale purple lips were icy cold due to the water as I kissed those lips twice, tasting her salty breath. Her blue scales shimmered like no fish I have ever seen before. She gazed into my glittery eyes as she spoke softly to me; her gentle voice echoing in my mind...

[I will deliver you back to the surface, but you must never enter the ocean until 21 years have passed! Then, when you are 21 years old...return here, back to me...]

For 21 years, that memory has played over and over in the back of my mind. But now, as I sleep, she returns nightly to warn me...

[Only seven days left.]

I thrashed away from her as I felt myself rising out of the ocean as I was now sitting up in bed, gasping as it was only a nightmare. My body was soaked in salty sweat, glistening on top of a thin layer of slime that covers my face.

I breathed as best as I could manage as I reached for my inhaler.

Ever since that fateful incident back at Copalis Beach, my health has been on the rapid decline. Every year, my lungs continue to get worse. Being only 20 years old, I have only 23 percent of my total lung volume left and my doctors fear that without a lung transplant, I probably will be dead in a year from now.

I wiped away the viscous sweat as the dream I was having was becoming more frequent. I was dreaming of the time I had drowned...each time, becoming more vivid as I was remembering dialogue and images. But deep in my head, there was doubt clouding my mind:

'Mermaids are not real! Rue!'

Still breathing rapidly...just for a moment...I thought that I was still under the ocean, taking deep gulps of air as if it were water; then realizing that I was actually breathing the cool morning air. I wasn't even at the beach! Rather, I was safe in my own bedroom.

I rubbed off the slime from my face as it dangled like stalactites from my fingers, all see-through and clear like snot.

"Gross!" I grumble as I wiped my hands off on my blankets and rubbed the headache away from my temples as I staggered out of bed.

My tired joints creaked as I made my way to the bathroom to wash the slime away. On my way to the bathroom, I glimpsed the outside of my apartment window on to the busy world outside.

Outside, there was a bustling city, with the sound of soothing laughter of charmed loved ones who walked hand-in-hand together as they warmed their skin under the morning sun; while lazy teenagers sunbathed on the dew-kissed green grass, listening to music.

On the horizon, just beyond the cityscape, the ocean rolled gently back upon the beach with its foamy white waves. I was safely far away from the rollers, and yet, after a nightmare like that, it was still far too close for comfort.

Continuing onward to the bathroom, I washed away the silky-smooth mucus as globs of the slime floated around in the sink like jellyfish. I looked at myself in the mirror, my rapidly aging face was showing my terminal sickness. The skin was pale and colorless. I once had black hair which was already greying at the temples, turning ice white.