Fading Away

Jessica

My revelation with my mother had made for an odd evening as we were some of the lucky few to have survived the tsunami. The epicenter of the earthquake seemed to be in the Seattle area, though it had also triggered the Cascadia Faultline, rupturing it straight down to Northern California.

Much of the Emerald City was now in ruins. Everything from 1st avenue was now underwater. Entire sections of the earth had just fallen off into the Puget Sound! The wave that hit us was due to a second quake off of the Cascadia Faultline that sent the tsunami that wiped out civilization from Port Offord, Oregon, all the way up to Anchorage, Alaska. Even Hawaii and Japan were not spared from Cascadia's wrath.

~~~

The following day, mom began to settle with the news that I just told her yesterday. Though she was still in disbelief with the intelligence that I was turning into a mythological creature.

"I want to apologize to you for my actions yesterday. sweetie." Mom softly said "I was scared and confused. It just seemed that everything in my life had gone all wrong!"

"It's not your fault, mom!" I said as I decided to talk more about my decisions. "When I first met her, I was in a very dark place. She snapped me out of my depression, saw me for who I was and we became sisters." I touched the very first gift that I ever received from her, smiling.

"She sounds amazing." mom said.

"She is, mom! She taught me both self-confidence and resilience! She is also my teacher when it comes to swimming and learning to love nature. She is someone who I can trust with my life's secrets. I wanted so badly to be with her, mom! But we are two different species from worlds apart. So, I begged her to make me just like her mom! So that we will always be together, forever."

"What do you mean?" she asked, but already knowing the answer.

"What would you do for someone who not only loves you for who you are, but loved your soul and your life? What would you sacrifice for that person!?" I posed before her.

"I guess I too would make whatever sacrifices that were needed to be with my lover. But what if they do not accept you!?" she posed.

"The people have already accepted me, and the Queen is eager to meet me." as I touched the Atlantean bracelet "Can you truly say that I will be fully accepted here on the surface, by everyone?"

Mother shakes her head, already knowing that many people despise and frown upon transgender individuals -- only the government has fragile laws that protect people like me -- like some endangered species from a far remote place. She does not even fully accept what I have become as she barely talks about me to her closest friends or family.

I was like a ghost -- I lingered around -- but I was also invisible to those of my own flesh and blood.

"I just do not want to see you getting hurt!" she exclaims as I smile. With the display of power during that tsunami, God help anyone who dares try to assault me!

"I am so sorry that I did not tell you sooner...I did not even believe that I would one day transform into a mermaid. I thought it was a metaphor, or an impossibility! But just in the last few months, I am finding that I can do things that no human should ever be able to do!"

"And I'm grateful!" mom says with a smile. "If you had never decided to become a mermaid, we both would probably be dead right now." She did not want to admit it, but in her belief, nothing happens without a reason. "Maybe becoming a mermaid is the right thing for you. And I will support you all the way...I just want you to keep no secrets from me ever again! We are family! We only have one another now."