Everything Has Fallen Apart

Jessica

For the next few days, I would look at the Atlantean device around my wrist...

Myra's signal had never pinged ever again. Somehow, she had disconnected me from the mermaid world; and now my connection to Atlantis was literally 'drying up' and breaking away, just like dried out seaweed.

Only the precious gem around my neck had remained untouched by Myra's sadness as it glowed even brighter in the darkness of my life.

When mom had learned of what was happening to me, she did not celebrate or blame Myra. She told me that I should not have lied to her about my true feelings. That I should have followed my heart, following her back into the deep ocean -- where I now belong.

She worried about what would become of my broken soul, especially once the mystical connection to Atlantis was completely severed and I returned back to being a normal transgender woman. The unknown had frightened her and she hated herself for starting the rift that drove both Myra and I apart.

I knew that moping around would not help things as I tried to move on.

Joshua and I continued to date, however, after breaking up with Myra, things began to become intense with him. To add injury to insult, a week after she had left, mom then slipped into a deep depression and stopped eating, entirely.

Then, one late night, I awakened to the alarming sound of her gasping for air as she could not breathe -- as if she was drowning!

However, the curse of denying Myra seemed to only intensify as during the night, we received a phone call from Walla Walla. It was the prison chaplain calling to let us know that dad had just died from respiratory arrest. Apparently, he was complaining of suffering from a 'drowning' sensation when he slept at night!

Whispers began to circulate around the family, that we were stricken with an aggressive version of 'Undine's Curse'. My grandparents, aunts, uncles, nieces, and nephews all fell one by one -- the drowning happening faster the further away from the ocean they dwelled. Only those closest to the ocean had survived the curse.

Death haunted my mother's every waking moment. She was fearful that she would be the next victim of Undine's Curse that had plagued our family. She'd begged the local doctor to heal her of the curse, but all they ever did was give her medicine to help with her anxiety.

A month before my graduation, and three months before I turned 18 years old, I returned home only to find my mother asleep in her bed. In her hand was a bottle of pain pills that she had overdosed on, taking her life before the curse could make her suffer.

The night before she had passed away, she stumbled to my room, coughing and wheezing as her last words spoken to me were:

"Honey...I think it is time that you go and find those mermaids and beg them for forgiveness! You and I are the last of our clan." Her words chilled me as the sickness seemed to spread across the world like a plague, affecting all families of every nation.

They called it an outbreak! A plague!

"You were not born for this world! You belong with them; you belong with her. And when you see her, please tell her that I am deeply sorry for all the pain that I might have caused!"

She had no pulse...no respiration!

I screamed for her to wake as instead of turning into water like all the others, she took the cowardly path and committed suicide! I immediately called for an ambulance, and they rushed her off to the Aberdeen hospital...but in the end, I was too late to save her...she was already long dead!