No Victory Without First Suffering

Rue

That evening, the conversation with Dr. Cole had only swirled like a whirlpool inside my brain as I felt a new sense of danger overcoming me.

He and/or his associates must have stolen the egg and the skin, and were now trying to reduplicate the process...probably for military purposes...who knows! They must have stumbled upon a roadblock and that was why they chose to detain me.

I stared up at the egg-shell white ceiling of the hospital room...the scent of fish was getting stronger each day...even with all of my scrubbing and cleaning...I just wreaked of something aquatic.

Everything was turned upside down...as a scientist, I had no problem experimenting with lower lifeforms...for it was all for science.

But now, finding myself the experimented-upon, it just shows me just how unfair that this world truly was. I felt very close to the truth, but now circumstances were determined to shut down everything that I ever did because the CDC was too greedy to understand the consequences of their actions. To realize that I too was a person with a future and soul...it made me question my whole existence as 'human'!

And what about myself?

Was I too blind to see that I cannot live on like this? I wanted it so badly, to learn the truth, but it was only a self-destructive human longing. Was I now doomed to spend every breath cooped up in some type of black-ops governmental lab? Cut into a thousand pieces like some harvested fish? Could it be that I was transforming into the victim...into the causality? A fatality of my own scientific curiosity?

I needed reassurance...opening a hidden flap in my coat. I took out a tiny USB flash-drive that I hid when I made my own copy of all the research notes I had written. It contained my first notes of the discovery. Notes that I kept for my own private research in the mythology of mermaids. I had the results as I read over them, from the lab back on campus:

Embryonic fluid.

Vital nutrients and hormones at standard levels of a human's womb.

High levels of the pregnancy hormone, oestrogen present.

Conclusion, the egg is an external 'womb'.

Only one set of XX sex markers were noted in the chromosome panel, a shocking revelation that did not make much sense to me at the time.

"They were all female?" I pondered about the memory of being in the egg. I watched the half-fish half-girls all escaping the eggs, swimming into the deep ocean! And I too was one of them for a moment! Trading legs for a long silvery-blue mermaid's tail!

'What would have happened if I had gone with them?' I wondered.

For a moment, I remembered pressing, pushing, trying to get out...and in the end, I did! I bit through the umbilical cord and was reborn from the egg, as a beautiful mermaid girl!

I looked at the word again: 'Oestrogen'. It made me unnerved.

Oestrogen was common in both females and males; except for that oestrogen was the conversion of testosterone into estrogen within the female body when the male hormone level becomes too high.

It did explain a little about why my body hair had gradually been shedding away. But it shouldn't have altered my sensation by touch alone! I brush back my blonde hair as it tickled my neck, growing almost two inches every six hours. My female hormones were clearly on hyperdrive!