The Leave-Taking

Rue

What do you do when you are facing your own certain demise?

Like a patient suffering from a terminal disease, you know that the day will eventually come...and for me, it was finally here.

I was kind of glad that both mom and dad were not here to see any of this; they would not understand and in the end, it would destroy them emotionally. Since that day I was summoned by the ocean's fury and saved by the grace of a mermaid, my future has since then been entangled with the ocean. It was always a reminder of home and now it was going to become the only thing that I truly cared about.

Sedna who sat beside me, quietly, flicked her long silvery-blue tail in the pounding ocean waves. She then glanced down at me as I felt that if I looked back at her, I might end up bawling my eyes out!

I was mentally broken; never will I ever see mother and father ever again, for it would be forbidden once I became a mermaid. My stomach still hurts from the revelation happening to my human body! I was changing into something that I was never meant to be, and I had no control over it.

Sedna moves her webbed hand into my own, doing her best to comfort me. She privately held a secret so deep that she did not know when it would be the best time to reveal it. If she waits too long, I might end up hating her forever! And if she shares her secret too early, I might be destroyed because of it.

~~~

"How long?" I asked her, watching the waves.

"Maybe a day or two." she answered "As long as you avoid the saltwater, your legs will begin to painfully merge into your new tail. It would happen a whole lot quicker if we were in the ocean, and it would be less painful." Sedna advised.

"Two days!" I sighed "That might be as long as I can hold out before the FBI comes knocking on my door!"

"I am deeply sorry, my love. I never meant for you to face this fate. I knew however, after saving your life, that you would be bound forever to the sea." I smiled, glancing up at her.

"I am deeply grateful, Sedna! I truly am!" I told her "If you had not saved me, I would be dead right now!"

"Nevertheless, it was a heavy price that had to be paid to secure your survival." Sedna then added, informing me "I have discussed this with my people, and it is my responsibility to help you survive and thrive."

"So, there is no escaping this fate." I groaned.

"You have a choice, my child!" Sedna told me, offering two paths "Either you can stay here and live as a captive to the duine; and who knows, you might succeed where others had failed. Or you can come join us in the ocean as a mermaid...as my daughter."

"Hmm..." as I wished that there was a way that I could live in both worlds. I felt Sedna's webbed hand touching my neck as she was feeling for my gill arches.

"If you have a mate, I then totally understand if you do not wish to take my offer."

"I have always been single." I corrected her, seeing just how pitiful my life must seem to her "I have been on this land for all my life. It isn't perfect or peaceful, but I have established a life here...but a promise is a promise. I will go with you." She gently touches my neck as she looks at me with my bright blue-green eyes shimmering in the moonlight...it was almost romantic.

"Are you certain!?" she then asked, giving me time to think.

I would have loved to stay on land, but I also know that either Dr. Cole or Dr. Todd would eventually find me, and this time they would not underestimate me. From the moment I was quarantined, I was treated like a specimen, not like a scientist or even a human.