Meet Diego

I slept the entire bus ride. I usually fell asleep midway through my daydreams. It had actually been pretty embarrassing since my head had fell on the shoulder of the guy sitting next to me. I found it even more strange that he hadn't tried to wake me up.

When I lifted my head and felt the slight dampness at the side of my mouth, I subtly wiped at it and gave him a small smile. Taking a water bottle out of my bag, I took a long swig before turning to him.

I hesitated. "Thank you...umm..for letting me use your shoulder." I said blushing.

He smiled at me and shrugged. "It's no problem. You seem to be having a bad day. Going far from home?" He asked.

I shook my head. "Not really." I replied. "It just feels like I am." I sighed and turned to look out the window as the bus stop came into view.

"I'm Paul by the way." He said.

I just nodded and zipped my bag. "It was nice meeting you." I said, though I didn't even remember him sitting next to me when I boarded.

The bus came to a stop and people began to stand and grab their belongings. I stood and hoisted my backpack over my shoulder and looked at Paul. "Oh well. It was nice meeting you." He said, moving out of my way; he didn't seem to be getting off yet.

"You too." He replied.

I didn't know who I was supposed to be looking for. My mother had only shown me pictures of her friend; apparently her husband was to retrieve me from the bus stop. There weren't many people standing around so it was easy for me to pick out the tall man holding a sign with my name on it. 

The man looked like he was in his early forties. He had dark hair that was gelled back and when he smiled, I noticed dimples in his cheeks.

That small fact brightened my day a little; he seemed to be a nice guy.

"Hello." He said. "You must be Dakota. My wife is super excited to have you. She tells me that she was almost a sister to your mother in high school." He had a heavy accent and spoke a bit fast making it slightly difficult for me to understand him.

I just smiled and shook his hand. "I'm Diego." He told me. "It's nice to meet you...Let me help you with your bags." He stooped down and took two of them, then rolled my suitcase down the sidewalk.

"You'll have your own room." He told me in the car. It was a large white Escalade. Something I'd only dreamed of for the last few years. Our only car was an old Nissan that belonged to my mother's uncle; it ran well but it was a bit rusty.

I could only assume Diego's family was rich, which made me feel uncomfortable. I felt like my mother specifically picked this friend because she was rich. I didn't want anyone to feel like I was living with them just for the money.

"Do you have kids?" I asked him, trying to start a conversation. It wasn't awkward or anything in the car, just silent. And honestly, I was a bit nervous; I wanted to be prepared. 

He shook his head. I nearly sighed a breath of relief until he spoke. "But my wife does, so I guess I do too." He shrugged his shoulders. "I have seven stepsons."

My jaw literally hit the floor of the car.

"Seven?" I repeated in disbelief. I imagined seven little boys running around the house, or worse, seven sweaty guys.

"If you don't count my nephew. He moved in a few months ago." He continued.

"That makes eight." I said, dizzily.

"Aren't you smart?" He replied laughing.

I smiled, finding Diego really cool and easy to talk to.