Meet Another First

I squealed when we pulled into the parking lot of the bowling alley.

Gregg gave me a strange look. "You act like you've never been bowling before." He said.

I immediately froze. It all came crashing down on me. I didn't belong with this family. They were rich and I was...borderline poor. So poor I lost an apartment that could have passed for a closet and got separated from my mother.

I ducked my head to hide my tears. "What's wrong?" Gregg asked. Everyone was getting out of the car but I just sat there. I hadn't ever been bowling before. But I didn't want to tell anyone that.

I forced a smile. "Of course I've been bowling before." I said. "Come on so I can kick your butt."

He gave me a strange look but followed me out the car anyways.

We got our shoes and an alley. The game was Bailey vs Diego.

I was on Diegos team with Quintin, Kennedy, Bryson, and Tristan.
Bailey had Spencer, Christian, Roderick, and Gregg.

It looks so easy, I thought with a smile. I figured I would be able to catch on but when it was my turn to bowl and everyone was cheering me on, I felt so overwhelmed.

I took a deep breath. Pulled my arm back and let the ball fly.

It immediately fell in the gutter. I felt like crying. Everyone else had done it so easily. Even Tristan has gotten a strike.

I stood frozen staring at the ball. When I felt a hand touch my shoulder, I tuned and fled.

-:¥:-

I thought I could hide from him in the bathroom but when I heard a little girl shriek, I knew he had followed me.

But when the door opened it wasn't Gregg.

He leaned against the doorframe. "Hey Cliche."

"I think you scared someone." I muttered.

"Something tells me you've never been bowling." He said.

I threw my hands up on exasperation. "I'm not like you guys! I haven't had the experiences you've had since I was young! I haven't owned the things you guys own!" I exclaimed. It was hard for me remember life when my parents had still been together. I remembered fun, but not the details.

He waited patiently to see if my rant was over.

"My dad had money." I said quietly.

Kennedy squatted in front of me and began massaging my hand. "But when he threw us out, he didn't let us take much. Especially after I chose my mother over him...I don't remember much details, I was young and...after that, I lived vicariously through other people because my mother barely had two pennies to scratch together. My school was very small and run down, my aunt was paying half of the bill for my mother. We got child support but my mother spent half of it on drinking...we were constantly fighting. When we got kicked out of the apartment, I thought my life was over...I was right." I sobbed.

"Hey." Kennedy said taking my face in his hands. "That is not true. And please stop saying that. We know it's hard, and that's why my mother is doing the best she can to make you welcome. We all are, and it's extremely rude to put us down so quickly without giving us a shot. You say you haven't had anything, so let us give it to you. And don't feel obligated to give us something in return. We just want to see you happy. Start over and quit dwelling on the past because it's not going anywhere unless you move on."

I stared at him for a while before slowly smiling. "Nice speech."

He shrugged. "It wasn't as good as yours, but you know," he popped his collar. "I am pretty good."

I laughed and allowed him to help me up. "Now, I'm going to teach you how to bowl and then we are going to kick some butt." Kennedy announced.

"Teach me how to bowl, teach me, teach me how to bowl. Tea-" I tried to sing.

"Only." He interrupted. "If you stop doing that."

I giggled.

"Hey," he said. "If it's true that you haven't been bowling," he began. "Then this is another first."

I smiled realizing he was right. "Thanks."

-:¥:-

I had a lot of fun at the bowling alley after Kennedy taught me, I wasn't perfect but I could finally score and contribute to the team.

Nobody asked me what happened, and I was grateful. Gregg told me that the reason he hadn't come was because Kennedy had forced him to do rock paper shoot and he lost.

After bowling, we ate pizza and chips until we couldn't breathe. We sat and talked for hours like a real family would. It felt amazing. I had never experienced anything like it.

Sure, I'd had dinner wit the jocks back at home, but they were all the same. Loud and obnoxious. This family had character.

There was loud and obnoxious, kind and soft spoken, crazy and annoying, caring but stubborn. It was like having a bag of sour skittles with all the different flavors. 

When they all left, I felt lonely but happier. Quintin offered to stay with me but I made him go, I didn't want anyone to be dragged down with me. Gregg had to leave for an audition in California and Kennedy was getting ready for college.

There were three days until school started. Bailey was worried for me, she didn't want me to start late but I still had hope that Ash would wake up soon. I just wanted to wait until the weekend was over.

Sometimes Ash left me, but he always came back.