Meet Dakotas Date

The next morning, I woke up earlier than the cooks so that I could make breakfast. Not having money to eat out back home made me a great cook.

There hadn't been many ingredients so I learned to make do with what I had.

Baileys favorite breakfast meal apparently consisted of scrambled eggs, French toast and sausage. It was simple which was great for me. I was adding scrapple because it was Jaces favorite.

I set the table while the eggs and scrapple fried. Then I searched for a pitcher for orange juice and apple juice.

Lily came in surprised but I sent her back to bed and to tell everyone else. I needed to do this. To feel closure? I didn't know. But I would feel better when I was done.

I finished the scrapple and eggs then began with the French toast. I began to tire of cracking eggs but pressed on. It was for a good cause after all.

An hour later, all the breakfast was ready. The table was nicely set in the breakfast nook with fresh flowers in the center.

I waited anxiously for the family to enter. Roderick and Tristan were the first to come barreling in. They stopped short at the sight of me.

"Hey Dakota!" Tristan exclaimed. He went to give me a hug but Roderick held him back. "Don't touch her. She might try to steal from you."

Tears pricked my eyes. I was dreading this. I knew Roderick would hate me forever. I could see it in his eyes.

"I'm really sorry boys. I was just trying to help his sister." I tried to explain.

"Yeah." Roderick said glaring at me. "And now I'm trying to help my little brother." He retorted.

"I hope you're being nice." Diego said entering the nook looking at his stepsons. "Good morning Dakota. Did you do all of this?" He asked me smiling at the table.

I gave him a small smile. "I hope it's okay." I mumbled.

He took his seat just as Bailey and Quintin entered. Bailey smiled. "Ooh. My favorite."

"Dakota cooked." Diego spoke up. She looked at me astonished.

"This looks delicious Dakota. Thanks." She said smiling.

Everyone agreed thanking me, except for Roderick who was glaring at his plate. Jace entered then.

"Oh hey honey," Bailey smiled. He stooped down and kissed her cheek.

"Morning mom." He mumble.

"Dakota made breakfast." She informed hi happily.

He made a disgusted face. "That's okay mom. I think I've lost my appetite." He said. I looked at him trying to make eye contact but he was still avoiding me.

"See you later." He said before leaving the room.

I looked down at my plate in embarrassment.

"Honey. He'll get over it soon enough." Bailey attempted to reassure me.

I pushed back. "Excuse me." I said. "I've also lost my appetite. But enjoy." I said smiling.

"If you think you can win me over with breakfast you are sorely mistaken." Jace said when I caught up to him.

"But they say the best way to a mans heart is through his stomach." I tried to joke. His lip twitched but he held it back.

"They were wrong." He replied bluntly.

"Please don't shut me out Jace." I pleaded. "I miss you. I hate it when you ignore me."

He turned on me. We were at the front door. "And I hate it when people lie to me and stay in abusive relationships. What happened to trust?" He retorted.

I crossed my arms. "So what are you gonna do? Ignore me everyday? I live here."

He smiled. "I have a solution." He said. "Move out."

"Why'd you try to cover for me yesterday?" I demanded.

"Good question. Don't worry it won't happen again." He replied tartly.

He opened the door and on the step was the last person I expected to see.

"Hey Kody." Gregg greeted ignoring Jace.

My jaw dropped. He was standing on the porch like a freshly polished model, carrying a bouquet of flowers.

"Can I talk to I you?" He asked still ignoring Jace, who was the one standing in front of him.

Jace grumbled something incoherent and pushed past Gregg. I stepped out and closed the door behind me. He handed me the flowers and turned leading me to his car.

"I see you got a new car." I pointed out, with wide greedy eyes. It was so gorgeous. I'd always wanted a mustang.

He shrugged. "I don't want it anymore. I don't like it much. I'm trying to find someone to give it to." He said looking at me pointedly.

I blushed. "Really? Is this your peace offering?" I asked astonished. He opened the drivers door for me.

"Wanna give it a spin?" He offered.

I grinned. "Duh." I replied.

The car was amazing. It drove smooth and not extremely loud. The radio was surround sound and the tinted windows made me feel indestructible.

I drove us to the park. It was still early so it was mostly empty. We went to an empty bench and sat.

"Okay so, I'm not here to ask for you back...I just wanted to tell you that...when I left, those things I said, I didn't mean them. I was just trying to make it easier for both of us. I thought if you believed I hated you, you wouldn't miss me so much." He explained.

I decided no to tell him that I hardly thought of him since he left. He really had hurt me, but our relationship hadn't been strong.

"That makes sense." I said. "But that's not it." I knew he hadn't come all this way to just tell me that.

He smiled. "There's a premiere for the Wizards of Waverly Place movie and I'm going to support Selena. I know you love that show, so, do you want to be my date?" he asked hopefully.

I gave him a strange look. "You remembered me like that? When you could have taken a model?" I asked astonished.

He wrapped his arm around me. "Of course I did. You'll only be gone for the weekend. I'll have you back quick." He promised.

"Please?" He pleaded smiling hopefully.

I smiled at him. "Okay."