Meet Quintin

Gregg told me that he wouldn't be seeing me until he picked me up next Saturday for the show. He had to go do some business in California, but we'd exchanged numbers.

By now, it was Wednesday and I was utterly bored. I video chatted with Ash everyday but it wasn't the same as seeing him in person. Back home during the summer, I would spend every day at Ash's house. Even if he wasn't there.
I couldn't stand to be in my apartment and Ash's parents adored me. They allowed me to stay over whenever I wanted, opening the door to me without question.

I liked to call it adoration, though some of it might have been pity. When mom stayed "late at work" I would sleep in their guest room. His parents understood that "late at work" meant "out drinking with friends." They sympathized my situation and tried to help me in every way possible.

I missed them as much as I missed Ash. As much as I cared about my mother, I didn't care about her bad decisions that seemed to be abundant in supply.

"Mom, you're late...again." I deadpanned, giving her an annoyed look.

I watched her silently as she staggered into the kitchen and set her keys on the counter. "I know honey, I told you not to stay up for me, the diner-"

"Does not stay open until midnight." I interrupted in a hard voice. "Ever." I gave her a hard look, I was getting tired of all of her lies. "I called and nobody answered." I said, crossing my arms. She looked at me, but it didn't really seem like she was seeing me. It had been like that for a while now. Even though dad left us years ago.

"I would do anything to see you better." I whispered.

Her eyes softened and I almost felt sorry for her, but they were still glassy, reminding me of her late night activities. I sighed and took her hand, leading her to her room. "This has to stop mom." I said. "You're wasting our mone-"

"I'm not wasting it if I'm using it." She drawled. I dropped her hand and whirled on her angrily. "You're drinking mom! You're drowning your sorrows in alcohol then driving home! What is wrong with you?! What am I supposed to do if something happens to you? Can you stop for one minute and stop thinking about yourself?!"

She just stared at me silently.

"You're not the only one hurting." I whispered. "And we both know that I'm not the one who is supposed to be taking care of you."
She simply continued to stare at me
I gave my mother a disgusted look before brushing past her and storming into our room, leaving her to make it to bed on her own.

Ash's' house was my actual home. Other than sitting in Ash's room watching movies all day, I would also go to the park with the guys to play football. Some nights Ash and I would go out to the movies, or to eat. Whenever I was tired of hanging out with the guys, I would sit for long hours on the front porch with his mother. We would talk about Ash, or my mom, or even simple things like the weather.
Other times we would just sit and watch the cars go by.

Then I'd go back home and cook for my mother and myself. A can of beef stew with rice or a small pot of noodles that I'd cover in spaghetti sauce.
Most nights I ate alone and left her bowl in the microwave.

On the nights that we did eat together, we were happy. She would talk about crazy people she met at the diner, or handsome men that she didn't dare speak to.

I would tell her about the latest prank the guys were playing on their teachers, or about my latest encounter with my Ex best friend.

Those were good night. I was all my mother had.