001

Eleanor 🎀

Every summer, my family heads to Susannah's beach house in Cousins. It's been a tradition since forever, even before I came into this world. I spend the whole year eagerly awaiting those days. The dads stop by sometimes, but it's not really their scene. The real magic happens with the moms and us kids. The beach house is full of wonders: the sandy shores, the inviting pool, and those cozy movie nights with our moms. But what I cherish the most is the time spent with the boys. To me, the best moments, the ones filled with magic, always unfold between June and August.

"Drew's disappointed you're both missing the beach matchup with the boys' team next weekend," Isla says, peeking up from her phone. Isla's like my sister, always there for me. She's perched on my bed and Taylor comfortably settled on Belly's bed. Belly and Taylor are inseparable, but the four of us always find a way to have fun together, no matter what.

"Make sure you tell Sophie to square up for the block." I request, gesturing towards our shared bedroom. It's a cozy space, with our twin beds placed side by side against the far wall, adorned with matching comforters. Belly and I, being twins, have always cherished the closeness of our shared quarters. As I fold a T-shirt from the wardrobe, the soft light from the bedside lamps bathes the room in a warm glow, casting shadows across the hardwood floor.

"Drew Martinez is texting me about you, and you're talking about volleyball?" Isla scoffs, glancing at me incredulously. Unlike her and Taylor, who seem to always have boys on their minds, I've always been more invested in my education and books. "Like, are you serious right now?" Isla laughs, shaking her head at the difference in our priorities.

"Drew doesn't care if Ellie's there or not. He just wants an excuse to text you," Taylor observes, casting a playful glance towards Isla. While they chat about boys, my mind is already drifting to our upcoming beach house trip. I can hardly contain my excitement at the thought of reuniting with Jeremiah, Conrad, and Susannah. The prospect of spending time with them by the beach fills me with eager anticipation.

"You better take this game against the guys seriously," Belly asserts, her gaze shifting from Taylor to Isla. Unlike me, who's more focused on books and academics, Belly is all about volleyball. "I mean, team pride is on the line," she adds with a determined expression, emphasizing the importance of the upcoming game.

"Please, you know me better than that. I would never let a boy beat me at anything," Taylor asserts confidently, her passion for volleyball evident in her determined stance. Belly nods in agreement, sharing Taylor's competitive spirit when it comes to the sport they both love. As they discuss their strategy for the upcoming game, Isla and I exchange excited whispers about our love for dancing, our minds filled with thoughts of choreography and rhythm.

"I thought you came here to help us pack," I remark, glancing over at Taylor and Isla. As they excitedly discuss which outfits for me and Belly to bring for our beach trip, I can't help but feel the weight of my academic responsibilities looming over me. I reach for my swimsuit and place it beside me, hoping it will suffice for the trip. However, the reality sinks in that my school books take up so much space, leaving little room for clothes. Despite wanting to relax and enjoy the beach, my commitment to maintaining my top position in class means I have to prioritize my studies, even on vacation.

"Fine," Isla says, reluctantly agreeing to help with packing. Before she can say more, Taylor cuts her off, eager to take charge.

"Here's a tip. Don't bring that Speedo," Taylor advises with a mischievous grin, teasingly gesturing towards one of my swimsuits. I chuckle, playfully tossing it aside as I continue sorting through my clothes. Meanwhile, Taylor lounges on Belly's bed, her relaxed posture contrasting with my energetic movements. With a playful twinkle in her eye, she adds, "It doesn't do a thing for your new boobs," eliciting laughter from both of us. Taylor then lazily shifts position, settling back onto the bed, seemingly content to watch me organize our belongings.

"That's not a Speedo," Belly quips with a hint of amusement as I carefully place the swimsuit into the suitcase, her discerning eye catching the detail.

"I'm just saying, babes," Taylor says with a playful grin, her tone suggesting she's offering friendly advice.

"Like, you both need to pack cute things," Isla chimes in, her excitement for fashion evident in her tone and gestures. Taylor and Isla were always more invested in style and trends than Belly and me, their passion for fashion shining through in every aspect of their lives.

"Well, we always buy a new suit when we get there," Belly remarks, her voice carrying a reassuring tone. Belly has always been my rock, standing up for me whenever someone tried to bully or belittle me.

"Isla always has my back too," I add, thinking of how Isla has protected me countless times from those who would try to bring me down. Isla's brother Aaron has been a formidable ally as well, swiftly putting an end to any bullying directed towards me with his unwavering support and protective nature. Their loyalty and courage have made all the difference in ensuring that I feel safe and supported in the face of adversity.

"Okay. So, buy one that doesn't look like you're trying out for the swim team," Taylor quips with a smirk.

"Are you serious?" Belly exclaims, springing up from her spot and rushing over to Taylor. Without hesitation, Isla and I join in, laughing as we playfully attempt to tackle Taylor to the ground. It's a moment of lighthearted chaos, filled with laughter and camaraderie, as we indulge in the simple joy of friendship.

"Ellie, Belly, we're leaving in the next ten minutes!" My mom's voice echoes up the stairs, prompting me to untangle myself from Taylor's embrace. Belly follows suit, both of us rising to our feet in response to Mom's call.

"We gotta go," Belly and I chime in unison, a common occurrence that never fails to amuse our friends.

"It's always weird when you both say stuff in unison," Isla remarks with a grin, her playful teasing adding to the moment.

"Actually, we still have ten minutes," Taylor interjects, pulling Belly down to sit beside her. Isla mirrors the action, guiding me to the spot next to her. It's a familiar scene, the four of us sharing a moment of camaraderie before heading out.

"Okay, before we let you go, you have to tell me your summer wish," Isla prompts, her gaze fixed on Belly. "Like the one thing you want to happen this summer."

Belly hesitates for a moment before responding, "I don't know."

"You little liar. Yes, you do. You want a hot make-out with Conrad Fisher," Taylor declares with a mischievous grin. It's no secret that Belly harbors a crush on Conrad, but what Taylor doesn't know is that I share the same feelings. Only Isla is privy to this secret, and I trust her not to reveal it to anyone else. If Taylor were to find out and inadvertently disclose it to Belly, it could jeopardize our friendship. And that's the last thing I want.

"Oh, it doesn't matter what I do. He doesn't see me that way," Belly murmurs as she continues to pack her suitcase, her movements more deliberate now.

"Oh, he'll see you," I interject, attempting to offer some reassurance. "Whether he wants to or not." It's a bittersweet sentiment, knowing that deep down, I've always harbored feelings for Conrad. But ever since last summer, things have changed. Conrad stopped talking to me, and our once easy friendship feels strained and distant. Still, I push aside my own emotions in hopes that Belly might have a chance with him.

"You look a lot different than last summer, Belly," Isla observes, her tone gentle yet curious. It's a moment of reflection, as we all take in the changes and growth we've experienced since the last time we were together at the beach house.

Hey, lovelies
Hope you enjoyed

Word count: 1,400 words