010

Eleanor 🎀

After our shopping spree, Belly and I return home to get ready for the debutante tea. I slip into a pink dress, pairing it with a white fascinator, while Belly adorns herself in a lovely blue dress adorned with yellow flowers, topped off with a pink fascinator.

As we pile into our mom's car, Belly settles into the passenger seat, leaving me to claim the back. Mom drives us to the venue, and as we step out of the car, she calls out to us, her voice laced with concern.

"Ellie and Belly," Mom begins, her tone softening with maternal care. "I just want you to know that if you decide you hate it, or if the girls are mean, or even if the food is bad, you can text me. I promise I won't say 'I told you so.'"

"We'll be fine," Belly reassures her, her voice steady with confidence.

"Humor me? Use our code phrase, and I'll be right there," Mom persists, a hint of nostalgia in her tone. "You remember it from when you were little, right?"

"Lemon Jelly Belly," we chorus in unison, a fond memory from our childhood. With a shared smile, Belly and I set off to find the debutante tea, knowing that no matter what, Mom has our backs.

"Do you know where the tea is held?" Belly asks me, scanning the area.

"Let's ask someone," I suggest to Belly, feeling utterly clueless about where to find the debutante tea venue.

"Okay," Belly agrees, her voice filled with uncertainty. I scan the area ahead and spot Jeremiah holding a stack of towels.

"Look, there's Jere. He might know. Let's ask him," I suggest, gesturing towards Jeremiah. Belly nods in agreement, and we make our way over to him.

"Hey, Jere," I call out, hoping to catch his attention. Jeremiah doesn't immediately respond, lost in his own thoughts.

"Jeremiah," I reiterate, prompting him to finally look up.

"Oh, my God. Uh, Nemo. Wow. I didn't even recognize you guys," Jeremiah exclaims, surprised by our sudden appearance.

"Tell me the truth," Belly presses, her voice tinged with uncertainty. "Um, do I look like a fool?"

"Um... uh, no, y-you look good. You look good," Jeremiah stammers, trying to offer reassurance.

"Aww, you really think so?" Belly replies, a hint of flirtation in her voice as she tucks a piece of her hair behind her ear.

"Yeah, you're the most beautiful person I know," Jeremiah admits, his words filled with sincerity. "Oh, shit, sorry Nemo, Belly is still first," he adds. I feel a pang of discomfort, sensing that I'm third-wheeling their interaction, so I decide to excuse myself.

"It's fine, but um, I need to find a toilet. You guys go ahead. Belly, I'll meet you there," I announce, making a quick exit and pretending to search for the restroom. In reality, I just want some time alone, so I pull out my phone and keep my head down, avoiding eye contact with anyone around me.

"Excuse me," a guy with a London accent speaks up, catching my attention. I glance up from my phone to see James standing there, a familiar face that brings a smile to my lips. I quickly tuck my phone away.

"Hey," I greet him warmly. "What are you doing here?" I inquire, curious about his unexpected presence.

"Oh, I work in here," he explains casually.

"So, does that mean you know where the debutante tea is held?" I ask, hoping he can point us in the right direction.

"Yes," he confirms, and we begin walking together towards the tea venue. As we stroll along, James shifts the conversation.

"So, I was thinking, do you wanna go on a date somewhere?" he ventures, his tone hopeful.

"Like where?" I question, intrigued by the idea.

"It can be your choice," he offers, leaving the decision up to me.

"Um, the only place in town I know is the boardwalk. I never really went anywhere; I would just stay home and read a book. But, by the way, you can choose. I don't mind where we go," I reply honestly, feeling a bit self-conscious about my lack of experience in the dating department. We arrive at the tea venue, and I spot Jeremiah standing nearby with Belly.

"You can text me about the date," I say to James, waving goodbye as he heads back the way we came. I then turn my attention to Belly and Jeremiah, who have just ascended the stairs.

"Hey, Belly," I greet her warmly, glad to see a familiar face amidst the unfamiliar surroundings.

"Hey Ellie," Belly greets me with a smile as she glances over.

"Jeremiah," the worker calls out.

"Paige," he replies smoothly.

"Where's your shirt?" Paige asks, her tone laced with amusement.

"It's always a pleasure," Jeremiah replies charmingly, taking Paige's hand and kissing it.

"This is Nemo. I mean, uh, Eleanor Conklin, the young woman my mom told you about, my future wife," he introduces me, gesturing towards me to clarify. "And this is Isabel Conklin, my future sister-in-law," he adds, indicating Belly.

"They're late," Paige remarks to Jeremiah, her patience wearing thin.

"I-I-I'm so sorry," I stammer, feeling a rush of embarrassment.

"You're both at table two," Paige informs us, her voice brisk.

"Are those those little Brie and fig jam sandwiches with the prosciutto?" Jeremiah inquires eagerly.

"Don't you dare," the lady warns him, a hint of warning in her tone. She turns away, making her way to the other debutantes.

"Okay," Jeremiah concedes, unable to resist temptation as he snags one of the delectable sandwiches. Belly heads towards table two, leaving me lingering for seconds.

"Knock 'em dead," Jeremiah whispers in my ear, his words filled with encouragement and support. I smile gratefully, feeling a surge of confidence as I prepare to join Belly at the table.

Hey my lovelies, how are you.

Word count: 995 words