008

Eleanor 🎀

"Officers, thank you. It won't happen again, I can promise you that much," my mom says, her voice tinged with a mix of embarrassment and resolve. I can feel the tension in the air as she speaks, my nerves causing me to fiddle with my nails, a habit I always fall back on in moments of anxiety.

"Tell Mr. Fisher the chief wants to set up a tee time when he gets back in town," the officer says, his tone professional yet firm.

"Absolutely," my mom replies, her tone apologetic. "Sorry again for all the trouble. Have a good night officers," she adds as she opens the door to let the officers leave. Once they're gone, she shuts the door and turns to face us, her expression a mixture of disappointment and frustration.

"How could you guys be so irresponsible?" she questions, her disappointment evident in her voice. The weight of her words hangs heavy in the air, a silent reminder of the consequences of our actions.

"Mom, it wasn't a big deal. All right? Seriously. The cops were just looking to break up the bonfire," Steven says, his voice tinged with a hint of defensiveness.

"Not a big deal?" My mom's response is sharp, cutting through the tension in the room.

"Yes," Steven replies, attempting to downplay the situation.

"I would say getting picked up by the cops for underage drinking is a pretty big deal, Steven," my mom retorts, her frustration evident in her tone.

"Were-were you guys, you guys smoking tonight?" Steven questions, his concern shifting to suspicion.

"What? Keep your voice down. Susannah's asleep on the couch," my mom warns, her voice hushed.

"Well, I wasn't yelling. Well, you-you-you were," Steven counters, his tone growing more agitated.

"Just so you know, Laurel, I-I didn't drink tonight," Jeremiah interjects, his attempt to defend himself falling flat amidst the tense atmosphere. "I was the DD, I swear."

"You're the oldest," my mom points out, her gaze shifting to Conrad. "What the hell's gotten into you?" Her tone is accusatory, demanding an explanation.

She turns to look at me and Belly, her disappointment palpable. "And when did you leave the house without telling anybody? And what in the world are you wearing?" Her questions hang in the air, echoing the confusion and frustration that fills the room.

"Mom, it's all my fault," I confess, the weight of my actions heavy on my shoulders. "I was the one that forced Belly to come with me, so if you have anything to say, say it to me."

"The dress is Taylor's. And why are we the only ones who's not allowed to go out?" Belly's frustration seeps into her words, echoing my own sentiments.

"It's not that you're not allowed, it's that you should have told us you were going. And how did you even get there?" My mom's tone is firm, her concern evident in her voice.

"We walked," I admit, feeling a pang of guilt for our reckless decision.

"Jesus. You know better than to walk that far down the beach late at night," my mom scolds, her disappointment clear.

"I know," I mutter, my voice cracking as tears threaten to spill from my eyes. I quickly wipe them away, hoping no one notices the turmoil within me.

"I hope you realize this night could have ended a lot differently if your family wasn't your family," my mom warns, her words striking a chord of fear within me. "Just go to bed, guys."

Belly and I retreat to our room, the weight of the evening's events heavy on our minds. We remove our makeup and change into more comfortable clothes, the tension in the air palpable. Jeremiah's familiar knock on the wall signals his presence, a silent reassurance that we're not alone. I close my eyes, exhaustion washing over me as I drift into a restless sleep, haunted by the consequences of our actions.

Hey lovelies I'm enjoying this.
So I'm watching the last episode and it's breaking me.
I'm crying so much.

I have finished writing the book.
Do you guys want me to post all the chapters now or every Friday you get three chapters.

Anyways, xoxo

Word count: 709 words