016

Eleanor 🎀

"Okay, slow and steady. You're doing great," Jeremiah reassures Belly from the passenger seat. I sit in the back, watching Belly navigate the road, feeling a mix of excitement and nerves.

"Just keep going straight, okay?" Jeremiah continues, his voice calm and encouraging.

"Okay," Belly responds, determination evident in her tone.

"You guys excited to see Taylor and Isla?" Jeremiah asks, breaking the silence.

"Yeah, uh, of course. So excited," Belly replies, her enthusiasm shining through.

"What about you, Nemo?" Jeremiah turns to me, seeking my input.

"I am so excited," I chime in, trying to match Belly's energy.

"You sure?" Jeremiah asks Belly, his eyes reflecting concern.

"Look, she's my best friend in the world, but, um, I mean, you know how Taylor is. She's like a hurricane," Belly explains, voicing her apprehensions. I nod in agreement, understanding exactly what she means.

I reach for my AirPods and plug them in, cueing up some Taylor Swift to set the mood. As the familiar melodies fill my ears, I can't help but smile, anticipating the whirlwind reunion ahead.

The bus station buzzes with activity as we pull up, the excitement of our arrival mingling with the hustle and bustle of travelers. Belly's playful bet hangs in the air, a lighthearted tease that brings a smile to our faces.

"Twenty bucks Taylor calls you 'Jeremy' again," Belly quips, her words filled with playful anticipation.

"I don't... I think she learned from last time," Jeremiah responds, his tone tinged with amusement.

"You think?" I chime in, joining in on the banter. "That's how she flirts with you."

As the anticipation mounts, Jeremiah's sharp eyes catch sight of our friends emerging from the bus, a colorful array of birthday balloons trailing behind them.

"Here they come," Jeremiah announces, his voice alive with excitement as Taylor and Isla make their way toward us.

Bounding forward, I wrap Isla in a tight embrace, the warmth of her presence filling me with joy. "I missed you so much," I exclaim, the words spilling out in a rush of emotion.

"I missed you more," Isla replies, her voice soft and full of affection. "Happy birthday."

"Thank you," I respond, a grin spreading across my face as I soak in the warmth of her embrace. Turning to Taylor, I offer a greeting, but my words fall on deaf ears as she blatantly ignores me.

"Taylor, why the fuck did you ignore Ellie? She is speaking to you," Isla's frustration is evident as she confronts her friend, her tone sharp and unapologetic.

"Because I can," Taylor retorts, her eyes rolling dismissively as she brushes off Isla's concerns.

Caught off guard by Taylor's dismissive attitude, Isla turns her attention back to me, concern etched on her features as she seeks an explanation.

"I'll tell you everything later," I assure her, the weight of our unspoken conversation hanging heavy in the air as we exchange knowing glances.

🌊

As we indulge in our sweet treats, the sun-drenched afternoon feels like the perfect backdrop for our impromptu celebration. Isla and I share an Oreo milkshake, savoring the creamy sweetness as we bask in the warmth of the day. Meanwhile, Belly and Taylor opt for a more decadent choice, diving into a banana split.

"Okay, open your present," Taylor announces eagerly, her excitement palpable as she hands me a gift bag.

"Here," Isla adds, passing me the bag with a smile. "We think it'll look so hot on you."

Eagerly, I reach into the bag and pull out the contents, my eyes widening in surprise as I reveal a vibrant bikini. Glancing over at Belly, I see that she's holding a matching set, the colors bold and eye-catching.

"Do you like it?" Isla asks, her voice filled with anticipation.

"I really like it. Thank you, Isla," I respond, genuine appreciation coloring my words as I admire the thoughtful gift.

"You're welcome, Elsie." Isla replies, her smile widening at my reaction.

As conversation turns to plans for the evening, Taylor's energetic spirit takes center stage, her enthusiasm infectious as she proposes an alternative to Susannah's planned dinner.

"What's the plan for tonight? Where's the party?" Taylor queries, her eagerness evident as she seeks excitement for the evening.

"Well, Susannah always plans a big lobster dinner," Belly begins, her tone expectant as she describes the traditional celebration.

"Boring. No," Taylor interjects, her dismissive tone cutting through the conversation. "It's your 16th birthday. We have to go out."

Undeterred, Belly defends the planned festivities, her loyalty to tradition shining through as she extolls the virtues of Susannah's planned soirée.

"Don't you think you should be spending your birthday with people your own age?" Taylor questions, her skepticism evident as she challenges the status quo.

As Taylor's suggestion gains traction, Jeremiah offers a compromise, suggesting a visit to Nicole's party later in the evening. Despite the uncertainty surrounding Nicole's identity, Belly's enthusiasm for the event is infectious, her admiration for her debutante sister evident in her glowing description.

"Ugh, I'm, like, melting right now. Can we go back to the house?" Taylor requests, her impatience evident as she longs for a dip in the pool.

"Sure," Jeremiah acquiesces, his easygoing demeanor accommodating Taylor's wishes.

"I call shotgun," Taylor declares, staking her claim as we prepare to head back to the house, leaving me and Isla to share the backseat with Belly, who remains lost in her own thoughts.

"Come on, Nemo," Jeremiah prompts, his gentle encouragement coaxing me away from the table as we prepare to depart. With a final glance at the remnants of our milkshake, I toss the empty cup into the trash and follow Jeremiah back to the car, anticipation bubbling in the air as we embark on the next chapter of our birthday adventure.

Word count: 967 words