020

Eleanor 🎀

"Tonight's gonna be so much fun," Isla exclaims, carefully applying mascara to her eyelashes.

"Yeah, I just hope it's not a disaster like the last party I went to," I reply, recalling the chaotic scene of the previous event.

"That barely counts, but at least you met James there," Isla reassures me with a grin. I join her at the vanity, putting on a necklace and some lip gloss. "Look at us. We're hot-ass bitches," Isla declares with confidence.

Isla, James, and I arrive at the party, greeted by the sight of people mingling outside, chatting and drinking. As we make our way to the door and step inside, I spot Jeremiah sitting on the couch. "Ellie, you came!" Nicole exclaims, rushing over to hug me.

"Hey, Nicole. You look so pretty," I compliment her sincerely.

"Oh, me? Look at you. Oh, my goodness," Nicole replies, stepping back to admire me. "Come, I've got Belly; I just need you."

"Do you want to come?" I ask Isla and James, but they both shake their heads and head off in the opposite direction.

"You guys, look who's here," Nicole announces to the crowd as she begins lighting the candles on the cake, each one bearing the number '16'.

"Happy birthday," everyone chimes in.

"Thanks," Belly responds with a smile.

"Thank you so much," I add, returning the smile.

"Um, is this for me?" Belly asks, gesturing towards the cake.

"No, it's for Ellie as well," Nicole clarifies, setting down the lighter.

"These cakes are amazing, Nicole," I compliment her, genuinely impressed.

"I never miss a chance to have a Sofia Coppola moment," Nicole quips, eliciting laughter from the group. "Okay, birthday girls, make a wish." I close my eyes and make a silent wish for me and Belly to reconcile.

"Oh, Ellie, where's Jeremiah?" Gigi asks, scanning the room.

"Um, I think he's over by the drinks table," I reply, gesturing vaguely in that direction.

"Who's thirsty?" Gigi jokes, earning a playful jab from Marisa.

"Okay, bye, I'm gonna go over there," Gigi says, heading off towards Jeremiah.

"So, Nicole, you and Conrad a thing or what?" Dara probes.

"I think 'or what'," Nicole replies, a hint of uncertainty in her tone.

"Wait, you guys live with him. You should know what he's up to. Has he been hanging out with other girls this summer?" Marisa questions, her curiosity piqued. I quickly interject to divert the conversation away from any potentially awkward topics.

"No, he's always off by himself," I respond swiftly, hoping to prevent Belly from bringing up the incident with Conrad the other night.

"Okay, well, new topic," Nicole suggests, changing the subject. "Have you guys asked James and Cam to the ball yet?" she asks, steering the conversation towards a lighter topic.

"No," Belly admits. "I was gonna, uh, do it before dinner today, but, um, everyone was there."

"What about you?" Nicole turns to me.

"I haven't asked him yet," I confess, feeling a pang of nerves at the thought.

"Do it right now. Just ask him," Nicole encourages, her enthusiasm infectious.