Chapter 57: Pens Down Party and Broken Phones

After school, when Mkhulu opens the door, it's abprupt, like he was waiting by the door.

There's an eager look in his dark eyes, a hope tugging smile. A question lingers in the air.

He lets me in, shutting the door behind us. We walk further into the house, heading for the dining room.

“Olivia and you…is the problem solved?” The hope that holds the tone of his voice, fades at the look in my face.

The answer is one I've been dreading to answer, even though I've been bold enough to face it all day.

Mkhulu understands, nodding solemnly. He stops and holds me in a tight hug. I hold him, just as tight, my heart crumbling in the safety of comfort.

My eyes remain dry. But despite no cry escaping my lips, I feel the cry in my chest. I feel it, deeply.

“ I tried Mkhulu.” I whisper into his ears..

He pats my back, speaking firm, even in his vulnerability. I draw  from that strength. “ I know, son. I know.”

We spend the late afternoon, drowning out  the taunts of pain with a marathon of our favourite movies and rounds of our favourite cereal. Kelloggs  Cornflakes.

“There's a pens down party happening tonight. Dominique's hosting it. Can I go?”

Mkhulu is hesitant, his brows furrowed in thought. “...”

“Mkhulu are you there?” I tease, poking his shoulder. Mkhulu doesn't smile, his brows still furrowed. “What is this…pens down party you're talking about?”

“It's a pens down party.”

“What's a pens down party?” Mkhulu asks, frustrated.

Laughing, I answer him. “A party to celebrate the end of exams.”

Mkhulu shakes his head. “ What's up with this generation? Why does there always have to be a party for everything? A sweet sixteen. A sappy seventeen. A party for the opening of schools. A part for the closing of schools. A party for the sake of partying —” Mkhulu's cut off by my loud laughter.

The amusement in his eyes isn't missed by me, but he carries on his rant with fierce passion. “Why does there always have to be a party? Can't you all just go down on your knees and thank the Lord that you made it through. Isn't that party enough?”

“Is this your way of saying no?Don't worry Mkhulu. It's nothing crazy. Just a few of us celebrating the end of Highschool and I'm sure half the people invited canceled.”

“ It's always ‘nothing crazy ‘ in the beginning.—” Mkhulu mocks my voice in a nasal tone.

“ Nothing crazy but the police are called. Six people are murdered and the house has crumbled to ashes.”

I laugh, shaking my head. “So a definite no.”

Mkhulu shakes his head. “ You can go. But only because Dominique’s there and he's hosting it. I trust him but don't  go telling him that.”

I lift my hands in promise, laughing.

Mkhulu smiles, amused. Then, he turns serious. “ But be safe, okay.”

“ I will.”

“And remember that peer pressure is just an excuse to do something bad and pin it on someone else. True character is strong and firm and nothing as stupid as peer pressure can make it collapse.”

“I hear you Mkhulu.”

“Don't talk to strangers. Look left and right before you cross the street. Don't get drunk or drink. Be sober minded. Breathe in and out. Don't choke on air.”