1. festival lights

- warning ! minor ed mention ! -

you had just finished getting ready for your school's annual fair that they did to welcome in the new school year. it was your senior year, and so far you had made quite the name for yourself. being a cheerleader and good friends with isabel and brittany and all that. though a few sly comments had followed you since freshman year due to your endearing friendship with your next door neighbor, hazel callahan. she had been your first friend when you first moved into town with your family. both of your mom's had gotten along nicely and so you two naturally tagged along whenever they had hangouts.

a few of the jocks at your school, namely the annoying football players had started a rumor just last year about you having a huge lesbian crush on hazel and that's why you had stuck around her for so long. which embarrassedly wasn't totally off, you had started to gain a slight crush on your childhood friend during high school, but you had stuck around because she was your best friend first and foremost. which also explains why you hadn't said anything about said crush in fear it would ruin the friendship. could you be blamed though ? high school was the time most people have a glow up and hazel was no expectation to that.

exiting your room, you said bye to both your parents grabbing your car keys before making your way to the garage and started driving towards hazel's house. this had become the norm since you had gotten your license with you being the driver and hazel your passenger princess which you often teased her about. parking your car in the driveway, you got out and made your way to the front door of the house. knocking on the front door, you waited as you bounced on your feet waiting patiently shivering slightly due to the cold august night air.

you heard the door click and open before being greeted by mrs. callahan, hazel's mom. she smiled as she recognized you instantly.

" oh hello mrs. callahan ! i'm here for hazel." you smiled softly, playing with the lanyard that held your keys.

" y/n dear ! it's good to see you again, i'll go call hazel down come inside. oh you poor thing, you're shivering. where's your jacket ?" she cooed, walking away afterwards to call your friend down. you looked down to your arms, noticing you did leave the house without a jacket before shrugging your shoulders.

hazel soon came down rushing while trying to tie up the laces of her shoes making you snort seeing her struggling.

" slow down haz, not like i'm gonna leave without you."

she smiled sheepishly at you before standing up after finishing tying her shoe. your heart picked up slightly as you focused in on her smile, it was always your favorite thing about her, since it instantly always made you feel better.

" you say that, but you almost left me at the cafe that one time"

" yeahhh cause you didn't let me pay for our drinks, it was my turn to pay haz," you mumbled remembering how hazel stood outside the car knocking on the window, begging you to unlock the car door. shaking your head, you made your way back to the front door.