Chapter 18: Urgent Moments

Dai Xiaomeng quickly reacted and started pushing alongside Erha. After much effort, they managed to move a cabinet to block the door. Still feeling insecure, Dai Xiaomeng began stacking more items at the door to fortify it further.

The noise inside naturally alerted the landlords outside. The couple exchanged glances, sensing something was amiss, and began to knock on the door.

Bang! Bang! Bang!

The loud knocks startled Dai Xiaomeng, causing her to step back.

"Who is it?"

"It's me, your landlord!"

"What do you want now?"

"Xiaomeng, don't be nervous. I thought about it last night, and you can continue renting the apartment. We can still do it month-by-month, but this time, let's sign a contract to avoid any disputes later."

The voice outside sounded relatively mild. However, the calmer it was, the more nervous Dai Xiaomeng became. She was naive but not foolish. She knew something abnormal was bound to be sinister. The landlord showing up at her door early in the morning without any good reason was suspicious enough.

"Come back later then, I haven't gotten out of bed yet."

"I'm going out of town for a few days soon. I want to settle this before I leave to avoid hassles later. Just open the door, I've brought the contract, and it will only take a minute to sign."

Dai Xiaomeng glanced at Erha, who was shaking his head decisively. He then brought over her mobile phone.

Feeling more certain, she quickly grabbed the phone. While she hesitated on what to do next, Erha stood up and began tapping the phone screen.

Was he... dialing 110?

Dai Xiaomeng was astonished as she watched Erha dial the emergency number. She knew her dog was intelligent, but she had no idea he was capable of recognizing numbers and even knew to dial for help.

Recalling a joke she saw the day before about sending the dog to school so as not to waste its talent made her swallow hard. Just as she was about to call, Erha flipped to the contact list on her phone and pointed out a number from one of the cameramen they met yesterday.

Finally, he swiftly switched to the camera app on the phone, then went back to the dial screen for the emergency call.

"Big guy, you mean first call the police, then notify the cameraman, and finally record it ourselves?"

Erha nodded and then moved to another room. Dai Xiaomeng took a deep breath, quickly understanding the plan.

As she was about to act, the knocking resumed outside.

"Xiaomeng, hurry up and open the door. I don't have much time, don't delay."

Pressing the call button, she stalled, "Wait a bit, I just woke up and am still getting dressed."

"Hurry up!"

The impatience in the voice at the door was palpable. Meanwhile, the phone call connected.

"Police, how can I assist?"

"Officer, my name is Dai Xiaomeng. There are people at my door trying to break in. My address is Li Jing Complex, Building 5, Apartment 7-1. I don't know what they intend to do, but they are right outside my door."

Bang! Bang! Bang!

As she spoke, the knocking intensified, now more urgent than before.

"Are you done getting dressed? Who are you talking to?"

"Just a moment, I'm talking to my dog!"

Dai Xiaomeng continued to fend off the landlords. Inside, the couple's expressions turned sour.

"Do you think she called the police?"

"No way, she doesn't know our intentions."

"But I think I heard her mention our address!"

"What? Let's break in! We can't wait any longer. If she really did call the police, I need to make sure the evidence is in place before they arrive!"

Their faces filled with panic, and the knocks turned violent.

"Open up, hurry!"

By then, Dai Xiaomeng had already hung up the phone.

"Just a second, I'm still putting on clothes."

"Stop messing around, or I'm coming in!"

"You dare!"

Her face paled as she confirmed her address with the police and quickly dialed the cameraman's number.

"Brother Liu, it's Dai Xiaomeng. That landlord is back trying to force her way in."

"You're on your way? Please hurry, they have keys to my apartment, I might not be able to hold them off."

After briefly explaining the urgency, she activated the camera on her phone and started recording toward the door, murmuring as she had seen in videos to avoid liabilities.

"It's 7:10 AM, I'm at home, and someone is trying to break in..."

Bang!

As she spoke, the door burst open—but only slightly. The strategically placed cabinet had successfully delayed their

entry.