Pinky Promises

Alexis woke the next morning feeling extremely restless. She'd had the worst sleep in a long time, tossing and turning all night. She woke up earlier than her alarm, deciding to use the extra time to head to the gym in the hotel to let off some steam.

After getting changed, she plugged in her headphones and headed out of her room. Once in the gym, Alexis headed straight for the treadmill. Nothing cleared her mind like running; there was something to do with focussing on putting one foot in front of the other and controlling her breathing that helped her thoughts.

After running for thirty minutes, Alexis left the gym. She got into the elevator, pressing her floor number. She had her head down as she was changing the song on her phone, when someone tapped her on the shoulder. The girl looked up and took an earbud out, realising it was Lando in the elevator with her.

"Oh, hi." Alexis smiled.

"Hi." Lando chuckled.

Alexis subtly took him in; he looked like he'd just been for a workout too, in a singlet, shorts and backwards cap, sweat glistening on his body. She had to avert her eyes momentarily, the sight was too much for her this early in the morning.

"Couldn't sleep?" Alexis asked.

Lando shook his head, "No. Just did a little workout on the beach. You?"

Alexis nodded, "Same. Just went to the treadmill, though."

Lando hummed, his hands tied at his back, as he rocked back and forth on his heels. The elevator was taking so long to get to their floor, each second passing by was another second that he couldn't handle being in such close proximity with Alexis. Especially while she looked so good, with her skin-tight shorts and crop top, hair tied up off her face.

Once it finally reached their floor, both of them released a sigh of relief. They both stepped out, heading to their rooms. As they stood in front of their respective doors, they both turned to one another.

"Good luck today, Norris." Alexis smiled.

"Thanks, Al. I'll see you in there." Lando grinned, before they both unlocked their doors, disappearing into their rooms.

Alexis leaned against her door as soon it closed, running a hand down her face as she exhaled. It was getting harder and harder for her to be around him and not touch him. She had to get it under control, and fast.

———🏎️———

One cold shower later, Alexis was dressed and ready for Saturday at the 2023 Bahrain Grand Prix. She was in the garage alongside Lily, where the third practice session had just finished, with Oscar in P9 and Lando in P13. Secretly, she was thrilled for Oscar for doing better than he did in the practice sessions the previous day, but she felt for Lando. She could see how deflated and in his head he was about those results, even if it was just a practice.

They had a few hours before qualifying later that night, so Oscar, Lily and Alexis grabbed some food from McLaren's hospitality to fill the time. Whilst they sat at a table, Oscar and Lily both across from Alexis; they were all fairly silent while they ate. Alexis didn't know what to say to Oscar; whether she should encourage him and lift him up or sympathise with him.

Luckily, Lily broke the silence, "I saw a really nice restaurant earlier today that might be nice for dinner tonight."

Oscar only hummed in response, his mind clearly focussed on the race ahead of him, as he poked around at his salad.

"How're you feeling for quali, Osc?" Alexis asked hesitantly.

This brought him out of his trance of staring at his food, as he looked up at his sister. "Bit nervous. But we'll see how we go."