Fever Dreams

Things seemed to go from bad to worse for Alexis, as only one day out from her scheduled flight to Saudi Arabia, the girl was severely unwell. She had a scarily high temperature, a headache so bad she could only cope with sitting in the dark, a blocked nose, sore throat, and body aches. She had done many COVID tests, and they all showed up negative. Alexis suspected it was the flu, because no cold had ever knocked her around like this before.

There was no way she could travel in this state, so she had to call Oscar to let him know she couldn't make it. He answered the phone fairly quickly, with a "Lex? What's up?"

"Hey." Alexis croaked out.

"Woah. You sound like shit."

"I know."

"What's wrong?" Oscar asked.

"I'm really sick. I can't come this weekend, Osc, I'm so sorry." Alexis felt silly for tearing up, but she felt so drained that her emotional capacity had been stripped bare.

"Alexis, it's fine. You don't need to get upset."

"I know! I don't even know why I'm crying."

"Wait, let me put Lily on." Oscar said before there was shuffling on his end, and Lily's sweet voice was heard on the other line. "Lex? Are you okay?"

"No!" Alexis cried out.

"Oscar said it's okay that you're not coming. You don't need to worry, he's not mad or upset."

"Okay." She sniffled.

"We're just worried about you." Lily said in a comforting tone, "Are you gonna be okay being alone while you're unwell? I can fly home and look after you."

"No, no! Don't. I'll be okay, I think." Truthfully, Alexis didn't know if what she was saying was true, but she already felt bad enough for missing Oscar's race, she couldn't take Lily away from it too.

"Okay. There's plenty of stuff in the medicine cabinet, painkillers and stuff like that. You call me or Oscar if you need anything, alright?"

"Yeah, okay. Thanks, Lily. I love you."

"We love you too, Lex. Rest up. I'll check on you later."

The phone call ended and Alexis hid herself under the covers of her bed, wanting the world to swallow her whole at this point. She had never felt so awful her whole life, not even when she'd had COVID, twice.

Summoning the little energy she had left, Alexis moved very slowly out into the kitchen, rummaging through the cupboard where the medicine was stored. She reached for a plethora of different tablets and syrups, figuring out which ones would help her symptoms the most, before she took them.

Making her way back to her bedroom, Alexis collapsed onto her bed in a heap, pulling the covers up and over her head, shivering but sweating at the same time, as she stared at the wall, willing for the medication to start working.

———🏎️———

Alexis didn't know what time it was or how long she'd been knocked out for, but she was grateful for it. Although she still felt like shit, at least she'd managed to sleep for a while.

What scared her was the dream she'd been having before she woke, mainly because it felt so real. Alexis and Lando had been out on a boat on the ocean in the middle of nowhere, and it was just them two. They were both wet - she assumed they'd been swimming, his curls were damp and perfectly draped against his forehead.

They were both on a sun lounger, tangled against one another, Alexis on her back as Lando laid next to her on his stomach. He lifted his head and began to lean in towards her, his lips inching dangerously close to hers, Alexis closing her eyes in anticipation. That was before a wave washed over the both of them, abruptly waking up Alexis from her slumber.