Untitled Part 8

The urgent sound of hooves pierced through the rain curtain as figures cloaked in capes rode forth, breaking through the rain like wild beasts, freely roaming amidst the falling raindrops.

"Halt!" commanded Delrayus, riding his armored warhorse and raising his right hand to signal.

Upon hearing the order, the swiftly riding group came to a sudden stop. Their skilled equestrianism showed no mishaps, only the occasional neigh of a horse enduring the cold raindrops.

"Lord Mordrian, there's a situation ahead," said Delrayus in his deep, commanding voice, his icy gaze piercing through the rain curtain.

At the mention of this, Mordrian lifted his cloak and looked towards the drizzling rain. Faintly visible not far ahead was a flow of crimson water.

"Lances, ready!"

Clang!

With clean and swift movements, sharp lances pierced through the rain curtain, revealing their cold gleam. Beneath their visors were the cold, unfeeling eyes of the riders, their presence exuding a palpable aura of menace amidst the falling rain.

Riding his horse to Mordrian's side, Delrayus stood like a stalwart tiger, his half-lidded eyes emanating a crimson glow, growing more intense.

In the midst of the rain, a reconnaissance team of three cavalrymen quietly appeared. One of them rode forth towards Mordrian's cavalry unit and halted just outside their perimeter.

"Mordrian, Lord Bennie sends his regards!" shouted the scout, his voice muffled by the rain.

Bennie? Mordrian arched an eyebrow, seemingly surprised to hear the name of the city's chief guardian in this context. It became evident who the sender was.

Waving his hand to signal the continuation of their journey, Mordrian noted the recent battle not far ahead. The rainwater had turned into a sea of blood, with numerous bodies lying stiff and broken in the muddy ground.

"Please convey my regards to Uncle Bennie. Thank him for his assistance," Mordrian said, realizing that there might be an ambush set for him.

"Lord Bennie merely wishes to ensure your safety within the confines of Edaras City," replied the scout as he handed over a sealed box. "This is a gift from Lord Bennie to you, wishing you a safe journey to Everndale Town."

Halting Cooper, who was about to ride forward beside him, Mordrian approached the scout himself. As a nobleman, he knew the importance of maintaining proper demeanor and etiquette.

[Ding... Detected energy source. Allow system decomposition?]

Suppressing his excitement and urgency, Mordrian thanked the scout, saying, "Please convey my thanks to Uncle Bennie for the gift. If he has the time, I will definitely visit him in person."

"Very well, Lord Mordrian. I shall convey your message to Lord Bennie!" said the scout respectfully. "Lord Bennie also mentioned to remind you not to underestimate the influence of the Jeffery family in the northern region of the kingdom!"

As the sound of hooves echoed and scattered raindrops, the scout immediately turned and left, disappearing into the blurry rain curtain.

"The Jeffery family, huh?"

Watching the departing scout, Mordrian couldn't help but think of the blood-red battlefield ahead. He realized that, apart from Bennie, no one in the northern region of the kingdom would pay attention to his presence—except for his brother, who cared a great deal about his whereabouts.

And now, hearing Bennie's warning, Mordrian had to reassess the influence of the Jeffery family, also known as the North Dukes, in the region surrounding the Gate of Sorrow.

The Gate of Sorrow was a formidable military stronghold controlled by the royal family, radiating its influence over the surrounding areas and cities, including Everndale Town.

Dispelling these thoughts, Mordrian glanced at Delrayus beside him and smiled. With enemies and challenges ahead, he believed Delrayus would unleash unstoppable force against those who dared to obstruct them.

Lowering his head to look at the sealed box in his hands, Mordrian realized that there might be even more unexpected situations awaiting him.

---

As night fell, the cold breeze mingled with fine drizzles, scattering over the sparsely populated Everndale Town. Most of the townsfolk chose to stay indoors, seeking shelter from the harsh weather.

Outside the tavern, red and black flags fluttered in the wind, disrupting the falling raindrops. The heavy oak door kept the cold at bay, while inside, a warm fire crackled in the hearth, providing comfort to the patrons gathered in the clean and tidy hall.

"Hey, Old John, why is there so little boar meat in your wild boar rice today? Are you cutting corners again?" teased an elderly man at the bar.

"Old Jack, you'd better pay up honestly this time. Don't try to skip out on the bill again!" replied the tavern owner, John Andy, without looking up from wiping wooden mugs with a cloth.

"Heh, Old John, watch your words. After all, I'm a regular here. How could I skip out on a meal?" Old Jack chuckled, patting the bar counter with his right hand.

Laughter erupted from the crowd as the tension dissipated. They all knew that John's tavern, which had stood for over a decade, held considerable influence in the town.

Creak!

The heavy oak door swung open, letting in the chilly wind that dispelled the awkward atmosphere. The chattering patrons turned their gaze towards the two figures standing at the entrance.