Untitled Part 24

As the exploration journey delved deeper, at some point, a faint black mist began to rise within the gray shadow world, swirling and enveloping the mountainous forest.

"Hmm?" Modredian suddenly halted, squinting his eyes slightly. He thought he caught sight of the black mist around him swaying like living beings. His expression turned grave. "Darius, Kelven, have you noticed anything strange about those black mists?"

"Strange?" Kelven, hearing Modredian's inquiry, extended his mental senses to touch the surrounding black mist, then furrowed his brows before releasing it. His tone carried a hint of uncertainty. "It doesn't seem dangerous!?"

The Noxian expeditionary cavalrymen by Modredian's side began to instinctively gather, their steel shields raised, swords and spears gleaming with a cold light, their expressions cold and indifferent as they surveyed the environment.

However, to Modredian's surprise, the Noxian expeditionary cavalrymen's typically disciplined movements seemed somewhat off. Their actions were hesitant and slow, as if something was interfering with their usual precision.

"Something's not right! The black mist..." Modredian sensed that something was amiss and wanted to warn them, but suddenly, his mind was inundated with countless evil and chaotic whispers, assaulting his consciousness, plunging him into darkness.

Despair, desire, bloodshed, abyss... It seemed an unknown presence wanted to pull his consciousness into an unfamiliar place, a crimson world where everything, including the sun and the earth, was drenched in red, like blood, enticing his consciousness towards it.

Just as Modredian's consciousness was about to descend into the crimson world, a surge of deep green data erupted from his mind, shattering the crimson world and dispelling the demonic whispers.

In the next moment, Modredian's eyes cleared, returning to normal. But traces of fear and trepidation lingered in his pupils. Without further thought, he turned to awaken Darius and the others, but a deafening roar echoed at that moment.

Roar!

Darius roared skyward, crimson light flickering in his black eyes, intimidating the surrounding black mist and then radiating a dense crimson glow from beneath his feet, guarding everyone.

The Noxian expeditionary cavalrymen, including Kelven, regained their senses under Darius's roar. They looked at Darius, bewildered, as if unsure of what had just happened.

"Modredian, I suggest we retreat!" Darius reached out to shield Modredian, his gaze solemn as he stared into the depths of the Lornwald Mountains. It seemed that an unknown presence was bringing extreme danger, the first time he had felt such palpitations since arriving on the continent of Kalam'dor.

Turning to Kelven and the Noxian expeditionary cavalrymen, who had regained their senses, Modredian glanced around at the slowly spreading black mist. His eyes revealed a sense of unwillingness, but ultimately, he spoke in a deep voice, "Let's go!"

"Wait! Under our feet..." Just as the order to retreat was given, Kelven suddenly sounded the alarm. As a warstone mason, he had an extraordinary judgment of terrain, and now he felt tremendous fluctuations beneath the ground.

Boom!

Darius stomped his feet forcefully, causing the frozen snowy ground to crack open, sending up clouds of dust like smoke. The snowy landscape, adorned with silver-clad oak trees, was covered in dancing snowflakes, but it couldn't hide the savage intent.

Crash!

The snowy ground suddenly split open, revealing winding underground tunnels. In an instant, four massive burrowing worm-beasts emerged, their brown shells slightly cracked, dripping with dark green blood that corroded the snow.

They raised their strong, sturdy jaws towards Darius, emitting a hissing sound. Their purple eyes were already filled with crimson light, chaotic and savage. Their sharp forelimbs kept scratching the snow, producing an unpleasant, ear-piercing sound.

"Provocation?" Crimson light emanated from Darius's black eyes as he unsheathed his black axe. His urge to kill was uncontrollable.

Heartless Iron Hand!

The sound of chains reverberated as the black axe tore through the void, cutting through the oak trees along the way. Then, spanning a distance of over a hundred meters, it firmly pinned the central burrowing worm-beast's huge body. Not stopping there, the chains entangled the other three burrowing worm-beasts.

Darius exerted force with his arms, his bulging muscles resembling coiling dragons. Even though the four burrowing worm-beasts struggled to break free, it was futile. The chains shook, and the burrowing worm-beasts were lifted into the air.

Darius's crimson cape fluttered in the cold wind as he ran, trampling the snow-covered ground. Then, he leaped high into the air, grasping the handle of his black axe, a bloody smile forming at the corner of his mouth.

Massacre!

The black axe whirled around Darius's body, its icy blade slicing through the air, decapitating the four burrowing worm-beasts' hideous heads in an instant. Dark green corrosive blood sprayed, but it couldn't touch Darius's armor, repelled by an invisible force.

The battle ended swiftly. Modredian approached to collect the spoils of the burrowing worm-beasts, four magical crystals. A satisfied smile graced his face. Then, he prepared to leave immediately, the warning in his heart pounding frantically.

Rumble!

Modredian felt the ground tremble beneath his feet. With a turn of his head, he saw countless snowy landscapes being overturned and excavated from the depths. Countless burrowing worm-beasts surged out, and not only that, but a myriad of red lights emerged from deeper within the forest, stars twinkling densely, various beasts and monsters filling the gray world.

"Run!" Feeling as though he was being watched by the Grim Reaper, Modredian's face filled with horror. Without a moment of hesitation, he began to run swiftly. In the face of death, everyone was the same. Even with Darius present, in this situation, he couldn't guarantee their safety.

The tide of beasts and monsters flooded the gray forest, tightly locking onto Modredian and his companions, relentlessly pursuing them. Along the way, they destroyed everything in their path.

Soon after Modredian and his party left, the black mist seemed to revive, attaching itself to the surrounding forests and bushes. Upon closer inspection, it seemed to be sapping the life force of the plants, withering and decaying the branches and bark.

"How strong these bodies are! It's been nearly a century... no, the best vessels I've seen." The black mist surged and eventually formed into a gray-black figure, murmuring with desire.

Looking back at the shattered bodies of the burrowing worm-beasts, the gray-black figure revealed a bloodthirsty desire, and with a flicker of crimson light, the black mist attached to the corpses, extracting their life essence. In moments, the corpses turned to ashes