Untitled Part 25

"Who goes there?"

The silent night draped over Jorvik Keep, but the vigilant Noxian Imperial Cavalry noticed something amiss through the magical lamplight illuminating the stone path leading to the keep.

Twang!

The sound of bowstrings, sharp arrows tearing through the night sky, pinned to the stone path leading to Jorvik Keep, a stern warning.

In the light, with shadows few and far between, Modrian removed his black visor, revealing a weary, pallid face. He picked up the fallen arrow and spoke, "It's me, Modrian."

His calm voice reached the walls of Jorvik Keep, interrupting the gestures of the alert cavalrymen. They paused, then resumed, signaling to the watchtowers that all was clear.

Moments later, the heavy iron gates of the keep creaked open. Noxian cavalrymen stood on either side, bowing respectfully, paying homage to the returning party.

"Jorvik Keep, I have returned," Modrian's heart felt lighter. He glanced back at Darius and then gazed into the distance at the nearby Jorvik Mountains, his sorrow lingering.

...

The horizon just breaking dawn, crimson hues painted the sky over Jorvik Keep. Though winter's sky remained hazy, it was gradually brightening, and the faint glimmer of dimming stars was fading away.

In the main keep's bedroom window, Modrian awoke once more from his nightmares. In the days since his return, scenes from the Jorvik Mountains had haunted his dreams.

Rubbing the bridge of his nose, he gazed silently at Jorvik Keep, which had undergone preliminary construction during his absence.

The central thoroughfare was wide and clean, the houses along it uniform in their solemnity. The rooftops had an imposing quality, and along the walls, defenses remained largely unchanged, save for a few additions crafted by the War Mason.

The unknown presence in the Jorvik Mountains?

Modrian recalled Darius's words and the chaotic wave of beastly creatures. Was someone manipulating things from the shadows?

The Jeffrey family? He shook his head, dismissing that thought. If it were them, they could have killed him when he first arrived in Erwendale Town, rather than resorting to the ambush by the Wolf Raiders and Cold Crows.

[Name: Modrian Peris]

[Strength: Squire (Crimson Breath)]

[Blue Essence: 45 points]

[Orange Essence: 0 points]

[Victory Points: 10 points]

[Items: None]

The simple system framework floated in his pupils, and Modrian focused on the 45 points of Blue Essence—his gains from the journey in the Jorvik Mountains. The losses, including Kelvin and ten Noxian Expedition Cavalry, were heavy, and his greed was to blame.

"Greed is the original sin," Modrian murmured. He would remember that for life.

Apart from that, as Modrian fled the Jorvik Mountains, the system once again issued a temporary mission, closely related to the Jorvik Mountains.

[Temporary Mission: Explore the Jorvik Mountains]

[Mission Time: 60 days]

[Mission Reward: Unknown!]

[Mission Description: While lying on one's bed, no one should hinder others from sleeping. Explore the Jorvik Mountains as soon as possible to gather information for the development of the territory.]

"Unknown mission reward!?" Modrian pondered the task displayed in the system framework. Could the system not assess the danger of the Jorvik Mountains either?

Modrian also noted the 60-day time limit for the mission. That meant he had to complete it within 60 days. Recalling the beasts he encountered in the Jorvik Mountains, Modrian knew his first priority was to become a knight. Otherwise, revisiting the Jorvik Mountains would only lead to a repeat of past events.

"A knight!"

Everything came full circle, as Modrian's desire to become a knight relied on the enhanced strength of heroes within League of Legends. But to summon a hero required Blue Essence—or perhaps Orange Essence, though he had yet to unlock it.

Thud, thud, thud!

Gregory's urgent footsteps interrupted Modrian's thoughts. He turned to the stairs, where Gregory appeared, perhaps from his morning exercises, dressed in casual attire, his determined face dotted with sweat droplets.

He nodded to Kieran, then bowed to Modrian, saying, "My lord Modrian, Cooper has sent a messenger with urgent news. He awaits in the council chamber."

"Urgent news?" Modrian set aside his napkin, rising. "Let's go. We'll see what this is about."