The Food Fight and the Sorting Hat

"Welcome both old and new students!" Dumbledore's voice rang out against the students seated at the banquet. Nyx let out a silent hiss of disgust. So this old hag was one of the most powerful wizards of all time? She didn't believe it. The headmaster gestured with his hands, and food appeared out of thin air into the plates, each plate corresponding with the consumers favorites. Nyx looked at her plate, filled with Dawnling pie, Custard Bursts, Fluffcream pie, and her all time favorite, mallowmelt (All these food are from the Keeper of the Lost Cities series, but they are NOT in the same universe). Her eyes watered at the sight of them. She hadn't had these desserts since she was a child.

She gently placed a piece of mallowmelt in her mouth, the gooey butterscotch food melting in her mouth like ice cream and chocolate chip cookies. Her eyes widened. It tasted exactly like her mothers recipe, before she- she-

Nyx shook her head, not wanting to deep dive into her memories. Dumbledore stood up, his shiny white beard almost gleaming.

"Me and the teachers will be excused to talk about the competition between the other school, please stay civil," The headmaster nodded, and the other teachers left. Nyx analyzed a few of them before they left. Professor McGonagall was the head of the disgusting Gryffindor, and was the teacher of transfigurations. Snape, a former death eater, was head of Slytherin, and taught potions. She eyed Snape sharply. The Dark Lord says that he's a spy, but I still have my suspicions, she mused. Her eyes widened, and she perked up. Without turning around, she could feel eyes on her. Malfoy. She had mastered the art of swiftness, and feeling a sharp swishhh! of air, she caught something right behind her head. She slowly turned around and saw an apple nearly thrown at her head. Her eyes sharpened at the Slytherin table as Malfoy gave a low chuckle.

"Wow, the newbie knows how to play catch I see?" He taunted at her skills. The Slytherin table laughed, and Nyx was not amused. Slowly, she stood up, her mid length black heels clacking on the ground. She silently tossed the apple and at a blinding speed, roundhouse kicked it straight towards Malfoy's forehead. It smashed into him, and the crumbled. Silence followed as she sat down to continue eating her food, before Malfoy struggled to get back up. People started to laugh, even his own house. She gave a satisfactory smirk when she heard him lividly yell at the kids chittering.

"HEY! Look at me!" He yelled at her. Nyx slowly turned around, not bothering to stand up. The sliver haired boy looked absolutely furious and stepped towards her.

"Who do you think you are?" He fumed. She didn't bother paying attention to him, a large bruise was forming on where she had struck him. She stood up, and took a step towards him. She was a bit shorter than him, even with her heels, but she still had more power.

"That's none of your business, Malfoy," She sneered out the last part. Draco's face was practically steaming red with embarrassment and anger. The judge bruise on his forehead wasn't helping his case. Nyx checked her nails, not wanting to give the snob the attention he 'deserved'. Livid, he grabbed her shoulder, making her blink.

"Do you not know who I am? Who my father is?" He snarled. She gave a sarcastic scoff and rolled her eyes. Nyx then grabbed his hand of her shoulder and threw it off her. She didn't like being touched, even if it was just her shoulder. She dusted Malfoy's cloak and gave him a gentle push away before responding.

"Lucius? Don't get me started on him," She snorted, turning away towards her food. She blinked, her breathing stopped. Cold hands were around her neck, and she could feel Malfoy's gaze on her.

"What. Did you say about my father?" His eyes were cold, and he tightened his grip. Nyx knew how to escape, but she needed to find a way to do it without getting expelled. She hadn't even done the sorting hat yet!

A sudden thunk made Draco release her, and she saw an orange drop below her. Someone had thrown it at him.

"Back of her, Malfoy," Weasly warned, making Nyx roll her eyes. She didn't need his help. But the more the merrier. She gave Malfoy an uppercut kick and saw chocolate frog aim towards her. Oh sh-

"FOOD FIGHT!" Someone yelled. And then food flew.

"WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS?" Professor Mcgonagall rushed towards the fighting crowed, and waved her wand. Light shimmered out of it and the fight split apart, leaving Malfoy and Ron in a heated fight in the middle. She glared at the two of them.

"Detention. NOW!" She yelled, her wand pointed outside of the dining hall. They both looked like they were going to protest, but shut their mouths and limped towards the exit. Nyx grinned in the shadow's, pleased to have created some form of argument. The other professors entered, wide eyed at the met of food on the floor, walls, and roof. Nyx gave a small shiver. Dumbledore was looking straight at her, as if knowing the she was responsible.

"Nyx Nightwood?" He called out, making her nearly flinch. Oh, right. I need to be sorted into a house. Slowly, she stepped out of the shadows, letting herself be seen. A few gasps came from the students who had obviously recognized her from the girl who started the food fight, but nobody dared to say a word. She nodded towards Dumbledore, who returned the gesture.

"Due to being a transfer student, you shall be sorted into your house in the fourth year. Please step into the chair," He waved his hands, and a chair fizzed into existence, along with the sorting at. She stared at the hat for a few moments, the one that had been worn hundreds, no, thousands of times. Nyx sauntered up towards it and lifted up the hat. She gently sat down in the chair and let the hat do its magic.

So, you're Nyx Nightwood? The hat asked her telepathically. She nodded, not wanting to show any memories of her mission or her thoughts. The sorting hat gave a mental chuckle and the tip twitched.

No use in doing that. I can already see through your memories, your dreams. You are, Voldemort's right hand women, I take it? The hat transmitted the thought so calmly that she was shook by surprise. What should she say?

Er, yes. Do you have a problem? We both know that I'm supposed to be in Slytherin, she pointed out, not wanting to talk to the all seeing artifact. Once again the hat chuckled, this time verbally so everyone could hear it.

Are you sure? Slytherin is for the cunning and pure blood, its thoughts whispered. Her eye twitched in annoyance. She was cunning, malicious, even, so why was the hat questioning her?

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Yes, you may have the cunning part completed, but are you pure blood? The hat grinned outwardly. Her fists clenched. She wasn't a pure blood, but she wasn't exactly a mudblood, either. The hat knew. And was using it against her.

Ah, exactly. I think I know the perfect house for you, the hat chimed into her thoughts. Her knuckles cracked, making some of the students flinch.

"Gryffindor!" The hat yelled. Absolute silence followed, before she blinked a few times, the realization sinking in. Wha-?