Dumbledore's Office

"Only your first day and you're already in my office. What brings you in here, Nightwood?" Professor Dumbledore's voice was both warm and cool at the same time, something she had never encountered in a person. She didn't look him in the eye, and focused on fidgeting with her fingers. This wizard was one of the most powerful enemies of Voldemort, her Master. No irrational moves, Ny- Rose. She had almost called herself her fake name, as if that was more important than her code name.

"I, er, lost my temper in herbology. And blasted a Bouncing Bulb. And was rude to Professor Sprout," She gave him a weak smile. Dumbledore squinted at her for a few moments before drumming his fingers on the table.

"Let's talk," He said, and Nyx was unable to detect his tone. A chocolate frog appeared next to her, and her eye gave a small twitch. She had bad bad memories with chocolate frogs.

"I, er, don't like chocolate," She mumbled. Instantly, a bag of one of those Every Flavor! Jellybeans appeared at her side. She gave it a small push away.

"I- don't like candy in general," She muttered. Yes, she had had mallowmelt this morning, but it had been a decade since she had had it, so her taste for sweets had subsided. Dumbledore peered at her curiously.

"What do you like, Nightwood?" The question caught her off guard. What did she like? She didn't have any specific foods, most reminded her of her home, which had made her have the urge to throw up. Things? No, she wasn't really a materialistic person. But then again... She glanced down at her necklace, and it twinkled, as if just to spite her. Dumbledore noticed it and softly stretched out a wrinkled hand.

"May I see it?" He asked, his eyes shining with curiosity. She so desperately wanted to share her secret with someone, something even Voldemort didn't know. But sharing it with her enemy would be much, much more dangerous. She wordlessly shook her head and covered it with her hand, and Dumbledore sat back.

"I mean people. When you enrolled in this school, you stated that you were muggle born. Any family members? From what I've heard from students, you are a bit, well, cold," He didn't look her in the eye. Oh cripes, I forgot that I registered as a muggle. Because I had to keep a 'low cover' as Master had said. She fidgeted with her fingers. Did she care for anyone in particular? She had always seen Voldemort as a father figure, but part of her knew that it was mutual respect between leader and follower. Any of the Death Eaters? Heavens no, she couldn't stand any of them, and none of them could stand her. And students in this school were out of the question. That was the majority of people in her life...

Well, other than her biological family, but that was out of the question. She could feel her body tense as she thought of mother, in her stupid floral dress with water and the big fancy parties she threw. No, she defiantly never loved her mother, and her mother never loved her back. Her father had died before she had gotten to known him enough, so he was crossed off. She blinked as grief washed over her.

Cathrine and Sarah, her heart whispered from the depths. Her fists clenched. She had locked those words away at the deepest darkest corners of her heart for many, many years. And this old hag, she thought, glaring at Dumbledore, will not unlock it or open it whatsoever. She stared at him numbly before stiffly standing up, as if nothing had happened.

"I believe your job as headmaster is to watch over students and their activities, not meddle with their- affairs," Her words were cold and blank. He scanned her for a few minutes before giving out a long sigh, clasping his hands together and putting his elbows on his desk.

"Very well, Nightwood. If you wish. You may be excused for the rest of your classes. Although, I did not ask you this question because of where you come from, but because it might be included in one of your challenges," He said ominously. She froze, her hand above the doorknob. What did he mean by that? Feeling the coldness shiver down her body, she wordlessly opened the door and left his office, walking towards the Gryffindor rooms.