8

I watched out the window as New Mexico passed by. Chris drove me to the airport, my flight was in a couple hours. Silence filled the car, but I didn't mind. It was a comfortable silence, the kind you get when you're close with someone. The type of silence that tells you, you don't have to hide anymore.

The whole ride I peaked besides me to gage his emotions. Interview prep must have done him a service, I couldn't get anything from his face. He must be a good poker player. I figured I needed to stop over thinking things before I ruined something. So I just told myself he was a friend helping out a friend.

He pulled up to the curb and helped me with my stuff.

"Bye, I'll see you soon." I told him pulling him into a hug. He seemed to engulf me. I tried not to think about how much I enjoyed his embrace. If I did, I would never leave it. I'd realize just how much I like Chris.

"Good luck" He whispered to me, and I smiled. I knew, I was dragging out the good-bye by continuing to stand there in front of him. But I just couldn't get my feet to move.

"You're going to kill it. Are you nervous?" He asked.

"No. I don't think I am? But, Thanks." I almost reached up to kiss him on the cheek, but something stopped me. I know, I know, a kiss on the cheek means just about nothing, but still I couldn't let myself. There was this bridge and if I crossed it, the gates behind me would close and I'd never get to go back.

I glanced back at him as I made my way through the doors, and he offered me a smile. He had his hands in his pocket and his hat on. I turned around and left. There was something oddly intimate about having him drop me off at the airport. He had become so close to me I didn't know what to do.

I got off the flight a little disoriented, since I slept most of the flight. I grabbed my luggage, waved a taxi to head home. I walked into my apartment and set everything down. It felt a little weird. I felt like I should be relieved I was at home. I should have felt comfortable, but I stood in my hallway wishing I wasn't there. I was missing something, like I left something in New Mexico. I unpacked and did laundry searching through my stuff to make sure I had everything. I was positive the sinking feeling in my gut meant my subconscious knew I had left something important in New Mexico. It was a silly feeling, and I tried to shake it off. But the feeling sunk down in me and attached itself to me, until I couldn't forget it.

The next morning, I woke up early and headed to work. I was pretty much the only one in the office since it was a Saturday. I prepared even harder for Sony and I cleaned up the office a bit. I answered a few emails, drafted a couple buildings and stared at my clock. It was ten at night when I stopped working. That meant it was about six o'clock in New Mexico. It was too early to talk to him. I hadn't talked to him all day and I wondered if I should keep the streak. Space was never a bad thing. I wasn't really planning on getting close to him. I didn't think we were compatible.

I wanted to smash my head against the desk. I was acting like a love sick puppy. It was ridiculous. I went home and called Crystal to keep myself occupied.

"Hey Lucy! Hows it going! Whitney told me you're back in Boston."

"Yeah I am, and it's a little weird being home." I admitted to her. Crystal and I have been friends since elementary school. I met her when she was eight. She has blonde long wavy hair that we used to call mermaid hair. We couldn't be more opposite looking. I've got dark brown hair and brown eyes, and she has blonde hair and blue eyes. What's even more crazy is when we were little, I was always the smallest in our class and she was always the tallest. Now she's a doctor back home, and I'm in Boston wishing she was here.

I talk to her everyday so of course she knows about Chris, and I'm sure Whitney has filled in what she thinks of him.

"Are you nervous for Monday?" She asked me.