12

I can't do this.

That stupid stomach virus that made its way through the office hit me around four in the morning. I had gotten rid of my energy with my dinner. Sighing sitting on the cold bathroom floor, I laid down thinking of how terrible the next 24 hours were going to be. The tile on the bathroom was too cold so I crawled back into bed instantly falling back asleep.

I woke up two short hours later to my carefully set alarm clock. I turned it off hoping to catch the next alarm I had set for myself knowing I'd angrily turn off the first. Sadly I was unable to fall back asleep. I had too much to do today.

I snuggled deeper into my bed trying to warm up my body. It felt like I had been hit by a truck. My body was sore. My throat was sore. I was so cold and still nauseous.

Knowing I had worse hangovers than what I was feeling now, I got up to shower. I tried to make myself drink loads of water. I felt dizzy and empty. I did myself a favor last night and set out my clothes for today. I put on a white button down, and a dark grey blazer with jeans. I slipped on some black pumps and marched myself out the door.

I walked into the hotel lobby and slipped on my sunglasses. The light from the window in the hotel lobby fed my headache. My eyes were puffy and droopy, no amount of make-up could hide the bags under my eyes.

"Wow, you look nice." Chris unexpectedly popped up next to me. For a second I was startled. I glanced over to him, and was to weak to even smile. All I had with me was a water bottle, my phone, and keys. As soon as the meeting was over I was going back to bed. Tomorrow I could play catch up. Today was about survival and going to bed early.

"Thanks, why are you here?"

"Waiting for you, everything okay?" He asked questioning the sunglasses while still being inside.

"Yeah, keep your distance. I got the stomach flu."

"Oh jeez" he said stepping away from me. "Should you be going to this?"

"Who else is going to do it. We've got masks. I'm not making out with him." I said a little too curtly.

"Okay." He didn't argue and quite honestly his argument was probably the winning one.

"Ready?" I asked, he looked at me skeptical, but he still followed me out the door. I walked to my car.

"Look, I'm sick and you definitely can't get sick. You getting the stomach flu is a million dollar delay. I don't think you should ride with me."

"Relax. I have a mask. And it's not like we're making out." He teased grabbing my keys to drive. I wanted to be sick to my stomach.

In the car ride to work I dozed off and on and fought the need to throw up. I pulled myself together outside the office by slowly eating a granola bar.

"Good luck." Chris wished me before walking away.

"I'm going to need it." The world was spinning but I held my ground.

I waited an hour for Mr. Peters, he was late. I was irritated when he finally showed his face.

"Ms. Jones" he said shaking my hand. I smiled and took a deep breath.

"Mr. Peters, why don't you follow me." I said, I ushered him further in the set.

"I hope, I'm not in your way. I just wanted to get a better understanding of this process."